Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

is it true that if an illegal alien drives a motor vehicle ...

Customer Question

is it true that if an illegal alien drives a motor vehicle without a valid Georgia drivers license his/her car is going to be confiscated by the police department?
Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.
In all probability based on the facts that you provide that the alien would be cited for no license/no insurance and unless there was a person with them that does have a valid license/insurance that the car would be towed and put in storage. The part about allowing another to come get the vehicle is discretionary and in most cases there isn't anyone. It is analogous to a driver charged with dwi, if they have a sober person with a license/insurance with them they might let them drive the vehicle home in lieu of towing it. Whoever claims the car from storage would have to show valid license/insurance and pay the storage/towing fees in cash. Otherwise the car is headed for police auction.Thanks for your question and I hope this gives you some guidance in this matter..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
In my question I am talking about illegal alien (No Greencard). All I want to Know is if it is legal by law for the Georgia police department to confiscate their vehicles forever if the vehicle is under the Illegal drivers' name.
Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.
Yes in the situation you describe they should seize the vehicle and have it towed to their lot for storage..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what if the car is under a legal persons' name with a valid drivers license. can the police confiscate the car forever if an illegal alien drives the car of the legal person?
Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.
It's really not the an alien issue, if a person gets pulled over for no license and no insurance the cops can tow the car because they are not licensed or insured and really when they drive off would be commititng another violation..........