dkennedy
dkennedy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Juris Doctorate Degree
5930486

Is ther a law in Florida which covers the amount of time a ...

Is ther a law in Florida which covers the amount of time a person has to file a liability claim on another pereson. Is there a Statuate of limitations on a liability claim?
Expert:  dkennedy replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

What type of a liability claim are you talking about?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I MAY HAE A LIABILITY CLAIM FOR A TIMBER ESTIMATE I GAVE AN INDIVIDUAL NINE YEARS AGO.
I AM A PROFESSIONAL FORESTER AND ONE OF MY SERVICES IS ESTIMATING THE VALUE OF STANDING TIMBER.
Expert:  dkennedy replied 6 years ago.

Hello reccaulking,

I would say, under any scenario, the statute of limitations has run for any liability on your part. I have provided some information following which is a condensed article about the statutes. I can find nothing in the laws of Florida which would allow a claim to be filed in a case such as yours 9 years after the fact. Of course, if someone formally sues you or starts to make serious claims, not just wild accusations, then go immediately to an attorney and verify that you are no longer liable.

A statute of limitations is a law which places a time limit on pursuing a legal remedy in relation to wrongful conduct. After the expiration of the statutory period, unless a legal exception applies, the injured person loses the right to file a lawsuit seeking money damages or other relief.

Although people often speak of "the statute of limitations", in fact there are many statutes which apply limitations periods to civil actions. Sometimes it can be difficult to keep track of the various statutes and their exceptions. Thus it is a very good idea for somebody who is concerned about losing their right to sue as a result of the expiration of the statutory limitations period to consult with a qualified lawyer, who can help determine which statute applies, and help preserve the right to recover damages.

The following periods represent a small sample of the statutory limitations periods in Florida. Please note that it may be possible to bring multiple causes of action from a single incident of wrongful conduct, and thus even if it appears that the relevant statute of limitations has run it may remain possible to bring a different claim. Also, there may be an exception to the standard limitations period that applies to any given situation. The following list is provided by way of example.

Personal Injury: 4 years.

Fraud: 4 years.

Libel / Slander / Defamation: 2 years.

Injury to Personal Property: 4 years.

Product Liability: 4 years.

Contracts: Written, 5 years; Oral, 4 years. Actions for specific performance must be commenced within one year.

A statute of repose is different from a statute of limitations, in that after the statutory period has expired it is not possible to file a lawsuit even if an injury occurs after that time. For example, if there is a twenty year statute of repose on the manufacture of aircraft, a claim cannot be filed against the manufacturer more than twenty years after the date of manufacture, even if a design or manufacturing defect is responsible for a later accident.

Accrual of Claims

A statute of limitations is said to start running at the time a claim accrues. Ordinarily, that is the time at which an injury is suffered.

The Discovery Rule

Sometimes it is not reasonably possible for a person to discover the cause of an injury, or even to know that an injury has occurred, until considerably after the act which causes the injury. For example, an error in the drafting of a will might not be noticed until the will is being executed, decades after it was drafted, or a financial planner's embezzlement might not be noticed for years due to the issuance of false statements of account.

When it applies, the "discovery rule" permits a suit to be filed within a certain period of time after the injury is discovered, or reasonably should have been discovered. The discovery rule does not apply to all civil injuries, and sometimes the period of time for bringing a claim post-discovery can be short, so it is important to seek legal assistance quickly in the event of the late discovery of an injury.

Tolling of the Statute of Limitations

In addition to late discovery, it may be possible to avoid the harsh result of a statute of limitation by arguing that the statute has been "tolled". When it is said that a statute is "tolled", it means that something has stopped the statute from running for a period of time. Typical reasons for tolling a statute of limitations include minority (the victim of the injury was a minor at the time the injury occurred), mental incompetence (the victim of the injury was not mentally competent at the time the injury occurred), and the defendant's bankruptcy (the "automatic stay" in bankruptcy ordinarily tolls the statute of limitations until such time as the bankruptcy is resolved or the stay is lifted).

With the exception of medical malpractice actions, most claims for injuries sustained by a minor as a result of negligence must be brought within four years of the date of the injury. For injuries to a child under the age of eight resulting from medical malpractice, under Florida law the child must file suit by his or her eighth birthday or within the standard limitations period outlined above, whichever time period is greater.

Contractual Limitations

It is often possible to shorten a statutory limitations period by contract. For example, an employment contract might require that any claim relating to the employment relationship, including wrongful termination, be filed within one year of the claimed wrongful conduct. Courts often uphold these clauses, particularly in the context of business transactions, even though they provide for a shorter limitations period than the statute of limitations would otherwise apply.

I hope this is helpful. If so, click on Accept so that I can get credit for my work. Thanks.

dkennedy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: Juris Doctorate Degree