4ren6, Forensics/CSI
Experience:  Sworn Expert Witness in Criminal Law. Sworn Expert Courtroom Testimony.

My Widowed Mother is in a Nursing home. She is 91 and I am ...

My Widowed Mother is in a Nursing home. She is 91 and I am the only child. Medicade is paying the cost. She owns a small house which is worth about $40,000. The house is detorating, no one lives in the home, I can not buy insurance on the home because it is vacant. My Question: can I sell her homeI have power of attorney and buy Life insurance or Burial insurance for her. She has very little insurance on her name, $1,000.00. Some one told me I can use the sale of the house and buy insurance for the amount of the sale. Say the house sells for $40,000 can we put the whole amount in an insurance policy to pay her last expense when she dies.
Was the home ever transferred to anyones name other then hers.............
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The house is still in her name. Her husband

died eight years ago. The house was never

transfered to any one else.

Most often if they are approved for medicaid they are approved on their income and assets...........if one spouse is deceased then the house may count. If the house is sold then this would change her assets and possible medicaid coverage. If you have POA then yes, you can sell it. But I would suggest that you contact Elderlaw or ask the local Medicaid office how selling the home would effect her specific situation and whether they could claim these assets now or later. Reply if needed.