Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Experienced attorney; contracts, internet, business, finance, employment, RE, consumer, & more.

As a small business in South Carolina Im being sued ...

As a small business in South Carolina I''m being sued by an employee who say that I owe him commissions in sales. Can he make up such a lie and go to court without a written contract.
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 8 years ago.

While written contracts are normally preferred in court, in theory an oral contract can be as binding as one that is written. A person may file a claim in court to pursue any claim they believe they have a right to pursue. After a claim or case is filed it is then up to the opposing party (the defendant normally) to show the court that such claims are bogus, should be dismissed, or should be ignored, etc.