Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

In Jan. 06 i was hit from behind while waiting at a

In Jan. 06'' i was hit from behind while waiting at a red light. It was a hard hit and i was seen. Medical bills were covered except one that must have been missed. Now a debt collector has been calling me at work and harrassing me. I gave them all contact info for the other persons insurance but they did not respond. I also could not get them to respond. I finally said go ahead with collection so they would stop calling my job. This bill is not my responsiblility. Can they do a collection process on me for this $300 bill?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- Yes they can try to collect if this was a valid medical bill. What I would suggest is to file a supplemental claim with the insurance company that paid the original bills and simply state that this bill had inadvertently been omitted. You may be beyond the 2 year statute of limitations for an original claim but you can probably claim that this is a continuing claim and that it should be paid.

In the meantime, the collection people with most likely continue to pursue the claim however , unless they actually file suit they cannot attach your assets or garnish your wages.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law