Lawgirl
Lawgirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am an attorney familiar with the above-stated subject matter.
635143

Once you give two weeks notice, can an empoyer let you

Once you give two weeks notice, can an empoyer let you go early without paying you for the full two weeks?

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

The short answer is yes. If you give notice to your employer and they let you go early without pay for the full two weeks, that is left to the discretion of the company. There are no state laws that mandate an employer to pay you for time not worked. "At will" means that an employer can let you go, with or without notice, at any time. Just as you are free to leave them "at will". However, I advise giving your employer the standard 2 weeks notice.

If they ask you to leave early then ask them if they are going to pay out your notice or not. If they say no you can always apply for UI and see what happens. Realize that after you apply for UI it is easily 3 weeks before you will see the first check, the first week is unpaid automatically as a waiting period. Then if the employer contests it there is a longer delay time while the process goes along.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response.

Good Luck!

-KAT