How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask truthfinder Your Own Question

truthfinder, Truth Finder
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2292
Experience:  I'm a straight forward person w/ a professional manner & drive to find the truth!
Type Your Legal Question Here...
truthfinder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Attempting to transfer my deceased fathers auto (car ...

Customer Question

Attempting to transfer my deceased father's auto (car registered in KY) to me, a CA resident. Kentucky title transfer was filled out and mailed to me, for my notarized signature. CA notary told me it is state law that he cannot sign on the auto title itself, because the proper notary language is not printed there -- CA law specifies that notary must attach a separate document. So that's what we did. When I mailed the notarized title transfer form back to Kentucky, the county clerk's office refused to put the title in my name, saying that the separate notary sheet was not acceptable, that the title itself, not a separate sheet, must have the notary stamp on it. So CA legally can't do what KY insists they must do, and as a result, we cannot get the vehicle transferred. The CA notary said that all other states have agreed to accept this separate document, but KY says they've never heard of this. Who is in the wrong? What approach should I take to resolve this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  truthfinder replied 7 years ago.

The BEST resolution to this would be to go there (to Kentucky) to have the documents notarized or contact someone in another area that is more familiar with such discrepancies. The Notary Institute states the following in their FAQs HERE:

QAm I allowed to attach a separate piece of paper with the notarial wording, my signature, and seal, on the document with the person's signature? If so, does it matter how its attached (staple, paper clip, adhesive, etc.)?
AYes. It should be stapled. Be sure you use an attribution clause at the bottom of the sheet so that it cannot be removed from the document and attached to a different one. The attribution clause should indicate the type and date of document it is attached to.

QIf there is not a place on a document to notarize, can I add an attachment? If so, what must the attachment state so that it refers to the document being notarized?
AYou may legally add attachments. They should include at the bottom an attribution clause that states the type of document it is attached to or the title of the document, the number of pages, and the date of the document.

Qhow do you notarize title transfers for a vehicle
ARemember you notarize signatures not documents. You notarize the signature on a vehicle title the same as any other signature. You will probably want to use a jurat because the person is probably swearing to an odometer reading.

QWhat is the difference between jurat and acknowledgment
AIn an acknowledgment the signer needs to merely acknowledge his/her signature. They could have signed it even years ago. In a jurat the signer needs to sign in the notary's presence after being put under oath to the truthfulness of the information they are signing to by the notary.
Qwhat do you make someone swear to on a jurat
AThey swear that the information they are about to put their signature to is true and correct.
Sample" Do you swear or affirm the statements in your document are true?"
You may want to contact the Kentucky Office and ask if they will accept the jurat as from what I read of the law, it is Kentucky that is "behind the times" on this issue, but with the jurat you may be able to get this worked out..
Expert:  truthfinder replied 7 years ago.

Did you need further assistance?

I would be happy to assist you further.

Have a blessed day!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions