Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Experienced attorney; contracts, internet, business, finance, employment, RE, consumer, & more.
2911261

What information about race and ethnicity in the United

What information about race and ethnicity in the United States has helped you better understand or relate to specific minority groups? Have you learned something new about your own cultural history?

o Trends in immigration will continue to shape the face of the United States. What will this face look like in the year 2050?

o How can the country best prepare for the changing race and ethnicity of its current and future citizens?
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

One of the main things I have learned about race and ethnicity in the US is the overwhelming amount of misinformation and the amount of mistaken conclusions formed about the fastest growing minority group in the United States, Hispanics. There is a widely believed stereotype about Hispanics that they are "new" to the United States, which is very wrong. Many Hispanics participated in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, and the World Wars. There is also the mistaken belief that the word "Hispanic" refers to a racial group. This is very wrong. The term "Hispanic" is a term used to refer to persons whose native country, or whose ancestors' native countries, spoke Spanish. In fact, Hispanics can be of any race, Caucasian, Black, or Asian, but there is no "Hispanic" race. Finally, there is also the mistaken belief that the term "Hispanic" refers to a group of homogeneous people who vote, act, and behave alike. This too is very wrong and often insulting to people who think of themselves as individuals and also, who take great pride in their native country's culture. A Mexican is proud to be Mexican and a Cuban is proud to be Cuban, and the two do not share much in common in terms of food, cultural, social, or economic history. Also, the belief that all Hispanics are poor or undereducated is also wrong. Although the numbers of educated and the amount of wealth Hispanics have varies by the national origin of the persons discussed, Spaniards and Cubans have the same educational and wealth levels as non-Hispanic American Caucasians.

Trends: The current statistics show that the fastest growing minority in the US is Hispanics and that this minority may become a majority by the year 2050.

Preparation: Change will always be difficult and we all will regret the loss of what we grew up with as the status quo. There will need to be many changes to help people understand the legal and government system of the US as many Latin American countries are known for their corruption and the people do not trust the authorities. People must also be advised of their rights in the United States and what they can or cannot do as members of this society. Lastly, Americans, in general, must realize that American history is one of immigration and that immigration has brough many wonderful things to our nation. While our laws must be obeyed, we cannot confuse illegal acts with immigration and must remain open to immigration, which I believe is one of our founding principles.

Jane T (LLC), Lawyer (JD)
Experience: Experienced attorney; contracts, internet, business, finance, employment, RE, consumer, & more.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the answer. Can you answer one more for me?
If you can I will pay $30.00 plus a $20.00 bonus.

Prepare a 1,400- to 1,750-word autobiographical research paper that analyzes the influences of race as it relates to your community. In your paper, write your first-person account of how human interactions in your community have been racialized. For the community, you can consider relations within your neighborhood, local government, service groups, clubs, schools, workplace, or any environment of which you are a part. In your paper, be sure to answer and provide examples for the following core questions:

o Do members of your community look like you? In what ways do they look the same or different?

o How do leaders within your community treat people who are like you? How do they treat people who are different?

o How do other members of your community treat people who are like you? How do they treat people who are different?

o Do your texts or work manuals contain information by or about people like you?

o Do the local media represent people like you? If so, in what ways?

o What are some similarities and differences between you and the people who are in leadership positions in your community? Do you feel minority group interests are represented within your community?

o If you could resolve any inequities within your community, what would you change? How and why?

o Which main concepts from the text relate to race? Apply some of these concepts to your project.

• Ensure the following elements are included:

o The thesis addresses racial issues in your local community.

o The content is comprehensive and accurate.

o The paper itself draws on your personal experiences with and opinions about cultural diversity in your community.

o Three sources are used, and one source is a community member, leader, or representative from a local community organization.

o The paper is written in first-person point of view, with an autobiographical approach.

o Text concepts are applied to your observations.

o Assignment questions are answered.

o The paper includes perspectives from supporting sources.

o The conclusion is logical, flows from the body of the paper, and reviews the major points.

o Paragraph transitions are present.

o The tone is appropriate.

o Sentences are well-constructed.

o The paper, title page, and references follow APA guidelines.

o Rules of grammar, usage, and punctuation are followed.

o Spelling is correct.

DearCustomer

What city are you in?

What is your race/ethnicity?

Do your texts or work manuals contain information by or about people like you?

Any information you would like to include in the paper about you?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Jane T's Post: I live in Effort, Pennsylvania (Pocono Mountains).

I am Italian American.

The texts did not cover anything about my heritage. It did cover African Americans, Muslim and Arab Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic Americans and Asian Americans.
In the Poconos we have a very large African American and Hispanic American Community.

You do not need to incluse any information about me.

DearCustomer

Okay. Just one more question, do you get the NY news stations or do you get the Philadephia stations? What about newspapers? (helps with the media question)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Jane T's Post: I get both.   I usually read the NY Daily News and watch the NY Stations.

I will not be able to be on the computer until after 10PM tonight.   If there are other questions I will answer them later.
Thank you for your help.
Laura

Here you are, 1436 words. Please be sure to correct for any formatting (such as double spacing and to indent the first line of each paragraph by a half inch).

Diversity at Home

I live in Effort, a community in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. Effort is just off of Interstate 80 and just a few miles form the New Jersey state border. Effort has approximately 10,789 people in the community, many of whom have moved here to have a better quality of life at more affordable prices. The community itself is middle to upper middle income and the average household salary is $57,880. About two-thirds of Efforts' residents are married and just under half of the people in Effort have children. In many ways, Effort is a traditional American community where many people have two or three children in their family. About 45% of the residents consider themselves "religious," and they are members of the following religions: 28.04% Catholic; 14.09% Protestant; 0.37% Mormon; 2.22% other Christian faith; 0.43% Jewish; 0.01% of an eastern faith; and 0.12% Muslim. Given that over half of the residents do not affiliate with any religion, this allows the community to be quite open in the area of religion. Religion is a part of our community, not, as in some places, the main part of our community.

Although the population in Effort is diverse, it is not as diverse as the United States in general, nor as diverse as many of the cities on the east coast are known to be. However, Effort's population does represent many different religions, races, ethnicities, and cultures. A majority of Effort's residents, 88%, are Caucasian (which is about 10% larger than the United States' percentage of Caucasians). About 7% of the population is African American, 7% is Hispanic, 6% is "Other," 1.5% is Asian, and 0.2% is Native American. Because the term "Hispanic" does not refer to a race but only refers to the fact that this group of people comes from a Spanish speaking Latin American nation, Hispanics can be of any race, such as Caucasian, African, or Asian. For this reason, many who classify themselves as Caucasian, African American, or Asian may also be Hispanic, so the population is Effort is 93% non-Hispanic and the 7% that is Hispanic may be a member of any of the racial groups.

While this population may not be as diverse as others, it has, however, experienced rapid changes in diversity since the year 2000 Census. Since the 2000 Census the population has decreased the percentage of Caucasians and increased its percentages of African Americans, Asians, and Hispanics. While there are some who may not be pleased about these changes, and the focus of the national media on the subject of illegal discrimination has created some tensions at times, the community is known to be one where all live and work well together. This may be due to the fact that while racial and ethnic backgrounds may differ in neighborhoods, neighborhoods themselves are very diverse. This means that people of any race, culture, or ethnicity can live in any neighborhood and frequently do. They know each other as neighbors, many commute to work in New York, New Jersey, or Philadelphia together, and their children all go to school together. In fact, there are more reasons binding our residents together than there are separating them and people tend to focus on those things.

Although my race is Caucasian, my ethnicity is Italian. My book does not discuss Italian Americans, as I suppose we are just included as Caucasians. However, just as Hispanics are not one people, Caucasian's are not just one group. Caucasians may be Russian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Irish, English, Australian, Canadian, Italian, or have any number of other ethnic or cultural backgrounds. These backgrounds do make people diverse and do give each of us different beliefs or views on subjects. It is not quite fair to try to speak of the diversity of others while at the same time not recognizing the diversity of all of us, whether Caucasian, Asian, or African. This is one thing I wish my community would involve itself more with and help to honor all people in the community with fairs or festivals that bring all people in downtown to share of themselves and their culture with others. It would help all of us get to know each other better and help teach us all about each other.

I could not locate any figures on Italian Americans in Effort of the local Poconos region, there are many Italians in this area. There are many Italian restaurants, cultures, and traditions that are visible and strong in the community. When I look around the community I fit in very well with the majority of residents. The local government and community leaders are mainly Caucasian, so they look very much like me. However, they do not treat those who are not Caucasian any differently than they do those who are. Our community is mainly made up of those with at least a high school education, 83% and the remaining 17% in our community have a college or graduate degree. As a result, our population, regardless of its race or ethnicity, is educated and economically stable, which may go a long way toward achieving power in any community. This may also be the reason that our diverse community shares many of the same goals, beliefs, and views on topics. This helps us all get along well.

The unity of our community is evident in our media. Because we are fairly evenly between New York City and Philadelphia, Effort receives media from both of these large cities. Both New York and Philadelphia have media that is ethnically and racially diverse. Therefore, no matter what your background, you can always find someone that reports the news on these stations who looks or sounds just like you. In addition, because both New York City and Philadelphia have many cultural events and programs for people of different races, cultures, nationalities, and ethnicities, which the media report on or about, those of us in Effort can learn about anything that is particularly about "us" at any time. While it may be reported by media, it does help us feel that, no matter how different we may be, there is always a large group just like us nearby. It helps many fit in and helps provide many people great information on cultural events that help them feel closer to their cultural roots, what ever they may be.

Our local newspapers also provide the same diversity in reporters and reporting stories. The local Pocono Record newspaper is recognized for its diversity and has many articles on issues involving diversity. In fact, today's paper had an article called "Learn About the Kosher Lifestyle this Week," in which the reporter, Beth Brelje, discusses the traditions and facts of being kosher. The article is part of "Poconos Week of Kosher Awareness" and local area Rabbi Mendel Bendet has been visiting local supermarkets to tell people about the health benefits of Kosher food. This kind of community interaction, when less than half of a percent of Pocono/Effort residents are Jewish, shows a large degree of cultural unity and price in our community. Speaking to his office reveals that the needs of many Jewish Kosher visitors and residents are not met in the community and that part of the reason for "Poconos Week of Kosher Awareness" is to increase knowledge and awareness of those needs, as well as teach those not familiar with Kosher practices what is involved and what the benefits may be.

While this may seem to be a small event, its impact and statement regarding diversity appreciation in the Effort and Poconos region is very important. While minorities of all kinds share their lives in this area, all take pride in the many things that make them unique. All also are welcome to share their culture and traditions with the community and, in so doing, they are helping to make themselves a part of the fabric of the community. Many may not share these cultures or traditions, but the ability to have them in the community means many are willing to learn about them and include them in the community. This is very important in a diverse population.

Effort may not be a perfect place to live for all, but it is home to me. It is a beautiful community surrounded by mountains. It also offers very varied and cosmopolitan opportunities for education, art, culture, cuisine and events due to its own efforts and the bustling cities of New York and Philadelphia. Neighborhoods are nicely mixed and all communities take pride in their community. It is a wonderful place for all to live and share their lives.

References

Census 2000 Demographic Profile Highlights, Effort, Pennsylvania (2000). United States Bureau of the Census. Retrieved February 13, 2008, from http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFFacts?_event=ChangeGeoContext&geo_id=86000US18330&_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US04%7C16000US0455000&_street=&_county=&_cityTown=&_state=04000US42&_zip=18330&_lang=en&_sse=on& amp;ActiveGeoDiv=geoSelect&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=010&_submenuId=factsheet_1&ds_name=DEC_2000_SAFF&_ci_nbr=null&qr_name=null&reg=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_industry =

Effort Pennsylvania People (2007). Best Places. Retrieved February 13, 2008, from http://www.bestplaces.net/zip-code/Zip_Code_18330_Effort_PA-PEOPLE-71833000010.aspx

Rabbi Mendel Bendet and office staff, Chabad Lubavitch of the Poconos. "Poconos Week of Kosher Awareness," February 13, 2008.

Jane T (LLC), Lawyer (JD)