rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.
3071004

California law.

Customer Question

This evening my wife was at the market shopping. When she went to check out she noticed a $100.00 bill on the floor. She reached down picked it up, and looked for the person that had just left. Had she found them she would have returned it as that is how she was raised.
The bagger boy noticed her pick it up and told the cashier. The cashier insisted that it be turned over to the store. She gave it to the cashier no questions asked.
My question is this. A) does the store have the right to insist that she turn it over to them. and B) what are her rights as far as claiming the money as hers if the person that lost it does not claim it. and C) how long does she have to wait to claim it.
Expert:  rvlaw replied 6 years ago.

I agree with you. I would have, as your wife did, attempted to see who dropped it. But having failed to locate the person, I would not have given the bill to the cashier. I know of no CA law that would require her to do so. I also would not have called the police. What would they do?????

XXXXX XXXXXcata

rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you Richard.

I guess I just needed confirmatrion of what I knew to be right in this situation. I do think that the store has the ethical right to take our phone number and name in case the person that lost the money returned to ask if it had been found. We of course would return it. I do have a bad feeling that the cashier and the bag boy split the funds laughing at my wife. God help them if they did. My brother used to work there. Im sure he could tell me just who to write to.

Thank you again for youyr help.

Best regards; Smitty

Expert:  rvlaw replied 6 years ago.

My pleasure.

Rich