Law808
Law808, Experienced Law Researcher
Experience:  10 Years in Research, Access to Public Records, Proficiency in Information and Data Resources
5639246

Where can I find out if my landlord is overcharging me for ...

Where can I find out if my landlord is overcharging me for my water bill? The office claims the county made a mistake over the past few years and all of a sudden they are charging me nearly three times what we used to pay?
Expert:  Law808 replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

What is most likely happening in your situation is that your Landlord is exercising what they call Allocated Water and/or Wastewater Services. This is where the landlord receives one master bill and uses this information to calculate your monthly bill.

Under the TNRCC rules, they tenants do have the right to request information such as:

• Utility Charges and Bills to the Property
  • Occupancy and Square footage used to calculate allocated bills
  • Amount billed to tenants each month for services
  • Any other information you may need to calculate and verify your water/wastewater bill
  • see attached flier for more

I strongly suggest that you put your request in writing and have them either send you the requested information, or set an appointment to have them prepare these documents for you to look over.

I've attached a sumXXXXX XXXXXdout about this message for you HERE.

Be sure to check under the "What records must be made available to you?" section. This section will outlines reasonable time frames that these types of information should be accessible to you as well.

I hope this helps you resolve this issue, as we all need to be very vigilant with the rising cost of living. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thank You!

If you have found this information helpful, please press ACCEPT!

Law808, Experienced Law Researcher
Experience: 10 Years in Research, Access to Public Records, Proficiency in Information and Data Resources
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The office manager told me that over the past couple of years the county had not been properly charging them and that the company was going to redo their billing system which would result in an increase of our water bill. That was acceptable; however, it appears the company is attempting to get us to payback for usage of past years by charging us a 45 day billing per month. I wonder if it is permissable to charge current residents for what was used by persons who no longer live in the complex or how can we get clarification of what we are currently paying for?
Expert:  Law808 replied 6 years ago.

Your suspician is right! Even if they decide to change their billing method, they cannot force current tenants to pay for utilites that were not used by them.

Please see Section 291.125 BIling (k) Overbilling and underbilling. HERE

For undercharges, the owner/landlord can calculate an adjustment for bills issued in the previous SIX months. If the undercharge is over $25 or more, the owner shall offer the tnant a deferred payment plan. (45-day billing cycle?) However, adjustments for usage by a previous tenant may NOT be back billed to a current tenant!

If you have any further questions, please advise and let me know how I'm doing.

Best Regards,

Chad

Thank you for the accept. Please don't forget to leave feedback!

Law808, Experienced Law Researcher