Anne, Lawyer
Experience:  Trial Lawyer, 15 Years Experience

A teacher at my 15 year old daugters school gave her ...

A teacher at my 15 year old daugter''s school gave her a note with his phone # XXXXX what she was doing over the weekend and wanted to know what she decided about coming over to his house. The school "cop" is looking into it but it is like they are going to brush the thing under the rug. Do I need to wait for her report before going to the school board or even the news paper?
Expert:  Anne replied 8 years ago.

Dear Rapid City, South Dakota:

If you are dealing with an actual "school cop" (someone employed by the school district, rather than a law enforcement agency) and you don't feel that they are going to adequately investigate this, go to the Rapid City Police Department and report it. This is the number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Another option might be the State of South Dakota Attorney General, who has a Safe Schools initiative at

I bet you have contacted the principal, but make sure you call him or her to express your concerns and find out what will be done about this problem, and when. I would think that the School Board should know about it as well.

As far as publicity goes, please make sure that your daughter is up to it. Adults often have trouble dealing with the intrusiveness of even the most well intentioned reporters.