Law808, Experienced Law Researcher
Experience:  10 Years in Research, Access to Public Records, Proficiency in Information and Data Resources

Can they go after my husband & his property if the debt was ...

Can they go after my husband & his property if the debt was created before we were married.Also if our names are XXXXX XXXXX jointly can they attach those
Expert:  Law808 replied 8 years ago.

In most states, debt that was created before marriage is the sole responsiblity of the original debtor. However, during many debt resolution processes, these lines will need to be drawn during some type of mitigation process.

Yes! Joint property can in fact be used to repay debts by either. However, if this happens, you will be given a chance to resolve this issue by proving that you are half owner of this property and that the debt be delt with properly.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please advise. Otherwise please press ACCEPT!

Thank You!