How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Chicago Illinois, my kitchen sink backed up and water ...

Resolved Question:

In Chicago Illinois, my kitchen sink backed up and water leaked onto my floor and to the condo beneath me. Am I responsible for paying for repairs that happened in the condo below me (drywall damage)? After these repairs are made (if I am responsible) am I responsible for re-painting, staining only effected area or the whole room?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 9 years ago.

DearCustomer- Generally you would be responsible for damage to another unit as a result of a problem from your unit. I cannot possible tell you exactly the extent of the damage for which you may be liable but all of this should be covered by your liability insurance. I would certainly turn this in to your insurance and let them deal with what is to be paid etc.

They extent of damages would most likely be only the affected area unless it was impossible to repair without repainting the entire room. If this had been as a result of an act of God such as a flood then each unit would have its own responsibility but this damage was caused by a problem related to your unit.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Dave Kennett and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you