Michelle
Michelle, Paralegal
Experience:  31 years of experience in criminal, real estate, juvenile and family law
3273316

If you are a co-signer on student loans and the ...

If you are a co-signer on student loans and the co-signer filed a Chapter 13, during the 13 bankruptcy period of the co-signer, does the creditor still go after the borrower?
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

Unfortunately, the answer is YOU BET. Student loans are not forgiven in a Bankruptcy proceeding thanks to changes made by the US Congress - additionally, if the lender cannot "squeeze" the juice from the borrower, they will go after the co-signer - and vice-versa

If nothing pans out - the lender will still get their monies as Congress also has made it permissible to file garnishment against social security. School loans will, unfortunately, not go away unless the person has died or the school where the money is owed becomes defunct. There are exceptions for "hardship" cases but mostly this would involved serious medical issues wherein the borrower was unable to work - even then the co-signer is on the hook.

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle