Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Specializing in all aspects of law including Family, Real Estate, Employment and Consumer Protection
997364

My son has been seeing a young lady for over a year.

Customer Question

My son has been seeing a young lady for over a year. She will be 18 in just a few days. Her mother has told her that if she keeps seeing my son she will get a restraining order on him. Can she do this and will it still be inforced after she turns 18?
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

Yes she can get a restraining order and yes it will be in effect after she turns 18 if the judge orders it. The biggest issue is it will be in effect at least a few months. Since she is so close to 18, it may be a good idea to break things off until she turns 18.

Even if the order is lifted after she turns 18 this will be on your sons record for a very long time thus effecting employment opportunity's, collage applications and his credit. It is not worth it right now.

I would advise him to explain the situation to her, and let her know that after she is 18 they can start seeing each other again. This will cause less conflict with the mother and prevent him having this on his record.

I wish you the best,

Walter

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
After she turns 18 can her Mother do anything about them dating?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: After she turns 18 can her Mother still put a restraining order on him if she is still living in her home.
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, I have not been getting my emails and thus did not see your response. Once she is 18 the mother can not prevent them from dating unless she has guardianship over the child due to a mental or physical disability that prevents her from taking care of herself.

She can refuse him entry on her property and even file trespassing charges against him if he comes onto her property but if the girl meets him away from her mothers home there is nothing mom can do to stop this.

I wish you the best,

Walter