Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, International HR Consultant
Experience:  GPHR cer BS, U.S.C. Pueblo; Immigration Law by Am. Mngmnt Association & USCIS Bus. Liaison ofc 1999
586644

I AM $2700 BEHIND IN MY CHILD SUPPORT, I STATED PAYING IN ...

I AM $2700 BEHIND IN MY CHILD SUPPORT, I STATED PAYING IN DEC PLUS PAST INTEREST BEFORE MY COURT DATE 11/27/07 TO SAVE MY DRIVERS LICENCE, I HAVE ALSO MADE MY JAN PAYMENT PLUS INTEREST, THE JUDGE ORDERED ME TO MAKE A LUMP SUM TO THE CLERK OF COURT ON JAN 27 2008, BY SELLING MY CAR WHICH WAS WORTH $2850 HE TOLD ME TO TAKE THE BUS TO WORK, MY WORK CAN NOT BE DONE ON A BUS, HE DID NOT WANT TO HERE IT, ANYWAY I REALIZE IT IS FEB 1ST AND I BLEW THE COURT ORDER, IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE TO GET ME MORE TIME TO PAY THIS WHILE CONTINUING TO MAKE MY REGULAR PAYMENTS WITH INTEREST, I AM SURE WITH MY NEW WORK IT COULD BE CLEARED UP IN 2 MONTHS

Dear jpb,

Under the circumstances, you are at risk of receiving a summons for contempt of court. However, a few days late will not be an issue with most courts.

If you make the payment now, (before 10days late), you will avoid any issue with contempt of court. This is not absolute, as the court, if the clerk acts more quickly, your grace could be as little as 5 to 7 business days. So you may be at the limit right now. If you can make the payment before any summons is issued, then you will be ok.

Else, the best that can be done, because this is after the fact, is to yourself or an attorney for you, petition the court for more time....you would need to be prepared to make a partial payment, and to provide a firm date of paying back.

Do not ignore this...either ask the court or make the payment. The clerk may accept a partial payment, bug most likely will not. She has to follow the court order.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX i petition the court for more time? jim [email protected]

Dear jpb9,

There is no gaurantee a petion after the fact will be successful...this is why you might need an attorney to handle this for you.

You down load the form form the Florida Self Help Family court. If the form is not there, it is because individual courts may have a different form; go to the clerk of courts of the court where the child support case is being heard, and ask the clerk for the form.

She or he will direct you to the proper form.

You merely fill out the form requesting a hearing date for the purpose intended, and pay the filing fee.

http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/self_help/index.shtml