Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Specializing in all aspects of law including Family, Real Estate, Employment and Consumer Protection
997364

Hi, I own a condo in DC and I had a contract with

Hi, I own a condo in DC and I had a contract with my tenant for only one year, my tenant received by email and formal letter my termination of the lease with her but she would not leacve my condo, she said that it is too much inconvient for her, can she do that? what are my rights as a landlord? how can I kick her out? Thanks Farzaneh
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

In eviction process you must first give them notice to vacate. Since the lease is up and you already gave her notice that you will not be renewing the lease, you will need to give them a 3-7 day notice to vacate. Generally 7 days is recommended but you can by law give them 3 days.

If they have failed to leave within the noted time you will need to go to the local clerk of courts office and file for a eviction. You can pick the forms up at your local law library or purchase them on line. Fill them out and submit them to the clerk of courts office. The clerk will set up a hearing at which time you can request a eviction based on not wishing to renew the lease. The judge will then give them a set time to be out. Generally this is 3-7 days but depending on the situation (Young children, winter, etc) the judge can allow them another 30 days.......though this is unlikely.

If they are not out by the set date the judge orders you can then take the order to your local sheriffs office who can set them out of the home.

I wish you the best,

Walter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: I do not know if you are familar with DC law, but what I heard is that you cannot evict your tenant just because the lease is come to end?
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

You have been advised wrongly. There is no law that prevents you from evicting a tenet for end of lease. In fact you can evict the tenet for any reason as long as it is not discrimination.

Here is a link to the attorney generals office with further information. Scroll down to evictions: http://www.atg.wa.gov/ResidentialLT/MovingOut.aspx#Evictions

I wish you the best,

Walter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this link that you sent me is for Washington state and not Washington DC?
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

I apologize, for the mixup.........I clicked the wrong link when I got my research done. In DC you are required to follow certain guidelines when evicting a tenet. Those would be the following:

For your landlord to legally evict, s/he must prove to the Court that at least one (1) of the following reasons is true:

• Failure to pay rent
  • The occupant violated some other part of your lease (for example, keeping a dog when the lease forbids it or having people living in the unit when they are not allowed to be there) or the housing code (for example, by damaging the property or not keeping it clean);
  • The occupant violated the law within the property;
  • The occupant are maintaining a drug-haven within the property;
  • The landlord/owner wants to take back the property for his or her immediate and personal use;
  • The landlord/owner intends to renovate the property and cannot safely do so with you living there;
  • The landlord/owner intends to demolish the property;
  • The property has to be substantially rehabilitated or renovated; or
  • The property is no longer going to be used as rental housing.

You can find this information at the following website. Again I am sorry for the inadequate information in the first post. Please feel free to not accept my answer based on my initial mistake. Frequently Asked Questions By Tenants

Walter

Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience: Specializing in all aspects of law including Family, Real Estate, Employment and Consumer Protection