J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  21 years as a serious injury/wrongful death trial lawyer; nationally board certified; 43 jury trials
6118667

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY HOME IS IN LITIGATION ...

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY HOME IS "IN LITIGATION" TO COLLECT A JUDGEMENT FROM 9 YEARS AGO. THE ASSIGNMENT COMPANY IS IN NEW YORK AND I AM IN TN. I HAVE MY HOME UP FOR SALE SO I CAN SATISFY THIS JUDGEMENT. ARE THEIR CERTAIN STEPS THAT THEY MUST TAKE? WHAT SHOULD I DO? (i WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT MY SIGNIFICANT OTHER OF 24YRS THAT PASSED AWAY HAD TAKEN CARE OF THIS BUT FOUND OUT DIFFERENT) ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Expert:  J D Haas replied 6 years ago.
You need to consult with a TN debtor lawyer or bankruptcy lawyer. They have experience in judgments and how to best handle them. You can find them with an internet search for "TN bankruptcy/debtor lawyer/attorney".

Generally, a judgment creditor cannot force a person to sell their homestead to satisfy a judgment that is not based upon the home loan. The debtor lawyer can give you more information about this and that is why it is so important to immediately contact the attorney. If the judgment is because of a debt secured by the home, their rights are different and they can foreclose on the house, but if it is a credit card debt, for example, most states will allow them to have a lien on the property, and they can attach certain other items of personal property, but they cannot force you to sell your home under usual circumstances.

I hope that I have helped you and that I have answered all of your questions. Please
ask more questions if I have not answered all of your questions.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information.
You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship, and I am not
responsible for your legal rights. The only way for us to be in an
attorney/client relationship is if you have signed a written retainer agreement
with my law firm.
J D Haas, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: 21 years as a serious injury/wrongful death trial lawyer; nationally board certified; 43 jury trials