Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I have been told that there is a Michigan State Law that ...

I have been told that there is a Michigan State Law that deals with removal of snow and depositing on streets. Can you tell me where I can access a copy of that law?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
The Michigan State Law has to do with the regulation of city ordinances about snow removal but the local city is who controls the issue.

You can access the state law on the topic. The actual city ordinance which restrict what you can do with the snow are also below.

These are State laws.

Act 387 of 1965StatuteSNOW REMOVAL FROM PRIVATE WAYS (247.361 - 247.363)
Section 41.288bSectionPublic street cleaning vehicles and snow removal equipment.
Section 51.77SectionSecondary road patrol and traffic accident prevention; grant; agreement; information; report to office of criminal justice; effect of reducing expenditures or level of road patrol; recommendations for expenditure of grant; expanded services; allocation formula; annual report; law enforcement plan; report to legislature; impact and cost effectiveness study.
Section 67.9SectionSidewalks; removal of snow and ice; ordinance authorized.
Section 74.23eSectionDisincorporation plan; elements to be included; findings.
Section 103.3SectionSidewalks; removal of snow, ice; repair, removal of obstructions.
Section 117.5iSectionSnow removal from streets, mosquito abatement, and security services provided by private contractors; special assessment.
Section 224.19aSectionContract for maintenance of road surface; charges; payment of damages.
Section 247.361SectionSnow removal from private ways; request; contract; liability; validity of snow removal operations.
Section 247.362SectionSnow removal; service charges, determination; reimbursement of county.
Section 247.363SectionSnow removal; advance payment, disposition of funds.
Section 247.655aSectionSeasonal county road system.

These are the City of Armanda Ordinance:

Sec. 31-17. Placing snow in streets.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to remove snow from private property and deposit it upon any roadway, alley or sidewalk of the village except when the person has contracted with the village for the removal of the snow and has paid the village the cost of such removal. The contracting, supervision, cost and method of removal shall be determined from time to time by the village council.
(b) The existence of any deposit of snow or ice deposited by artificial means in the traveled portion of any street or sidewalk or within any ditch or gutter in any public street shall be prima facie evidence that the occupant of the abutting property closest thereto placed or deposited the ice or snow therein.

Sec. 32-10. Clearing of snow and ice.
(a) The occupant of every lot or premises adjoining any street, or the owner of such lot or premises if the same are not occupied, shall clear all ice and snow from sidewalks adjoining such lot or premises within the time herein required. When any snow or ice shall cease to fall during the daylight hours, such snow or ice shall be cleared from the sidewalks within twelve (12) hours after such cessation. When a fall of snow or ice shall have ceased during the nighttime, it shall be cleared from the sidewalks by9:00 p.m. of the day following.
(b) A person who violates subsection (a) is responsible for a municipal civil infraction.
(1) The sanction shall be a civil fine up to five hundred dollars ($500.00), plus any costs, damages, expenses and other sanctions as authorized under Chapter 87 of Act No. 236 of the Public Acts of 1961, as amended, and other applicable laws.
(2) Officers of the police department are the village officials authorized to issue citations for a violation which is a municipal civil infraction under this section.
(c) If the occupant or owner shall fail to clear all ice and snow from the sidewalks within twenty-four (24) hours of being issued a municipal civil infraction, the village may cause the same to be cleared and the expense of removal charged to such lot or premises and collected from the owner as a single lot assessment in the manner prescribed in section 32-6.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator