Flagbridge-ADR, Arbitrator/Mediator
Experience:  Law Degree, New York Bar Exam, Arbitrator/Mediator, Just Answer LEGAL Mentor.

Is there a law in Pennsylvania regarding an autopsy being ...

Is there a law in Pennsylvania regarding an autopsy being performed if someone dies within 24 hours of major surgery while still in the hospital?
Expert:  Flagbridge-ADR replied 8 years ago.

According to PA law, there is no Mandatory requirement I can find. I did however find the law pertaining to how an autopsy is granted, either by Coroner order or by family

16 P.S. § 1238 (2007)

§ 1238. Autopsy; inquest; records

This basically says that if the coroner can not determine the cause of death, they may order an autopsy, and an inquiry, and the cost of the inquiry will be covered by the county, with the purpose to determine criminal liability if any.

FAMILY REQUEST 16 P.S. § 1238 (2007)

§ 1111. Persons authorized to perform autopsy; authorization for postmortem examination

Basically this section states, an autopsy may be performed by written request of the deceased, by their will, power of attorney, or relevant relatives who are claiming the body for burial.

If that helps click ACCEPT.

Best Regards