Michelle, Paralegal
Experience:  31 years of experience in criminal, real estate, juvenile and family law

Is it illegal to record someone without them knowing ...

Is it illegal to record someone without them knowing it? Is it admissible in court? Ky family court Ihave learned that my ex son-in-law has recorded our conversations, we are in a custody battle.

Kentucky does permit the recording of a conversation as long as one party to the conversation is aware that it is being recorded - in other words since your son in law knew it was being recorded it would be legal - however, if you and he were having a conversation and a third party was recording it without knowledge of either of you, then it would be Eavesdropping and illegal. If a third party was recording with permission of one or the other or you it would be legal.

It would be admissible as evidence - however, keep in mind that evidence is at the discretion of a judge as to whether they want to allow it and would be based on its importance.

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle