How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alice Wright Your Own Question

Alice Wright
Alice Wright, Research Expert
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 635
Experience:  11 Years Research Experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alice Wright is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In April 2007,, I was summoned to appear in court to ...

Resolved Question:

In April 2007, I was summoned to appear in court to address an outstanding disaster loan issued 10/1997 (which was sold to Lehman Bros). I paid required fees and appeared before a jugde. An arrangement was made to start making payments, however the lawfirm never followed thru in setting up. A date was scheduled to appear before the judge of resolution. On date of appearance, plaintiff lawyer did not show. Judge gave order of dismissal. On Dec 28th, a summons was left at my door (which I don''t think you can do in the state of illinois), requesting me to appear in court for same reason. I checked the county records,it shows that the plaintiff informed the judge that I was not cooperative and that I moved and could not be reached (I still live at the same address.). In trying to set up the initial arrangement, I gave the lawfirm all phone numbers(work, cell and home). They never attempted to reach me. What should I do? This lawfirm is not telling the truth to the judge. At this point I don't want to pay them, and the Judge's decsion to reinstate is based on false information.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alice Wright replied 7 years ago.


The service of summons statute is here:

735 ILCS 5/2-203. Service on individuals.

  1. Except as otherwise expressly provided, service of summons upon an individual defendant shall be made
    1. by leaving a copy of the summons with the defendant personally,
    2. by leaving a copy at the defendant's usual place of abode, with some person of the family or a person residing there, of the age of 13 years or upwards, and informing that person of the contents of the summons, provided the officer or other person making service shall also send a copy of the summons in a sealed envelope with postage fully prepaid, addressed to the defendant at his or her usual place of abode, or
    3. as provided in Section 1-2-9.2 of the Illinois Municipal Code with respect to violation of an ordinance governing parking or standing of vehicles in cities with a population over 500,000. The certificate of the officer or affidavit of the person that he or she has sent the copy in pursuance of this Section is evidence that he or she has done so.

  2. The officer, in his or her certificate or in a record filed and maintained in the Sheriff's office, or other person making service, in his or her affidavit or in a record filed and maintained in his or her employer's office, shall:
    1. identify as to sex, race, and approximate age the defendant or other person with whom the summons was left and
    2. state the place where (whenever possible in terms of an exact street address) and the date and time of the day when the summons was left with the defendant or other person.

  3. Any person who knowingly sets forth in the certificate or affidavit any false statement, shall be liable in civil contempt. When the court holds a person in civil contempt under this Section, it shall award such damages as it determines to be just and, when the contempt is prosecuted by a private attorney, may award reasonable attorney's fees. (Source: P.A. 88-340.)

As you can see, you were properly served.

As to your second question, you need to file a motion to quash the complaint based on the fraudulent statements and evidence in the underlying case. I suggest you hire an attorney to assist you with this motion.


Alice Wright, Research Expert
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 635
Experience: 11 Years Research Experience
Alice Wright and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions