4ren6, Forensics/CSI
Experience:  Sworn Expert Witness in Criminal Law. Sworn Expert Courtroom Testimony.

My 18 year old son was involved in a car accident yesterday ...

My 18 year old son was involved in a car accident yesterday at 11:30 PM. there were no injuries but he did hit a fire hydrant and left the scene. He ran home and did not answer the door when police showed up. I was out of town and today called the police station. They will not release the car or talk to me. We were told the police officer assignd to this case begins hs shiftas 11PM and he will be stoping at the house. My question is should we go to the station around 11 or wait for the police officer to come to the house? Should my sos make a statement explaining his panic and leaving the scene or should he not make any statements and get an attorney representaion tomorrow? If making a ststment what should he say? Please help so he does not get in any more trouble then already in.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 8 years ago.
Wait and let the officer come to you. You may call and leave a message that your son is home if he is needing to see him. It sounds as though he will be arrested and charged for leaving the scene of an accident with damage. Depending on what the officer ask him for I would not say too much until I had representation. They can arrest him and let him bond out or be released on his own to appear. You can then better know what the charges are and then retain council. Leaving the scene is a serious charge. Please reply if needed further .