Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

Legality of Signature on Title Commitments & Polices

I have a title commitment & policy that was written on Attorneys' Title Insurance Fund. I know the signature shows the attorney's name but I also know it is not his signature. That someone else in his office signed his name. Are there legal issues and policy validity issues to be concerned about?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- Anytime you suspect a forgery of a document there is cause for concern. I would contact the title insurance company in writing and question the validity of the policy. I would request something in writing from the insurance company which validates your policy. You can also contact your local bar association and file a complaint.

Attorneys are not supposed to allow others to sign their names to anything. It is better that you address this problem now rather than wait until you have to enforce the policy and someone tells you its null and void due to a bad signature.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law