J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  21 years as a serious injury/wrongful death trial lawyer; nationally board certified; 43 jury trials
6118667

A seller on EBay who never sent my items, instead filed an

A seller on EBay who never sent my items, instead filed an unpaid item dispute against me. Then EBay sent email saying seller stated he had received payment. Seller offered refund. I asked seller by email what happened to the items? In response I received another unpaid item strike. I left negative feedback for seller stating exactly what had happened. Seller left negative feedback for me, which was a lie, stating that I hadn't paid for items. This reduced my feedback rating to 92% from 100% as this was my 11th transaction. This will affect my ability to buy and sell on EBay. Can I sue seller for defamation? Seller in state of Washington. I'm in California. Jurisdiction? I am requesting attorney Jdhaas
I will send an email to JD that your requesting him on this.
Thank you for requesting me. It is theoretically possible to sue someone who defames you on Ebay. However, your damages would be so small that it would not justify the suit. I am not minimizing what happened to you, but stating the fact that no attorney would take the case because the damages are not high enough. Your Ebay reputation may have been damaged, but you, as a person, have not been damaged because your Ebay name is XXXXX XXXXX than your legal name. Furthermore, you can refute the negative feedback and Ebay users can determine who are reputable people and who are not reputable people based upon the totality of the feedback. Also, you would have to sue the person who defamed you in their home state in order to have a realistic chance of collection. For all of these reasons, and more, it would not be a viable lawsuit. I am sorry.

I hope that I have helped you and that I have answered all of your questions. Please contact me if I have not answered all of your questions. If my answer is satisfactory please accept it. I really appreciate positive feedback.

In the future, you can specifically request that I work with you on your legal question. If you have specifically requested that I answer this question, thank you.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship. The only way that I am legally responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm.

J D Haas, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: 21 years as a serious injury/wrongful death trial lawyer; nationally board certified; 43 jury trials