Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I have an ex-boyfriend that put a restraining order on me ...

Customer Question

I have an ex-boyfriend that put a restraining order on me when I found out he was ''paying for sex'' to try to protect his reputation namely that he was looking up this information at work. Ever since then I have received various emails mainly jokes listed as an anatomous group and a few phone calls from him. He told me just before he did this to me that he would contact me when he was ready to talk so I took his emails as him reaching out to me and in some of my very depressing times this last year, I remembered the good times and found myself contacting him back. I just received a court order to show up on the 16th due to me breaking the restraining order. I personally think he set me up and I don''t know what to do about this cause yes, I was stupid thinking he really did care! A lot of my evidence is on a computer of a job I lost back in June due to this stress, I really screwed up my job and they let me go. Please tell me what my options are. Thank you!
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Customer it is unfortunate that you do not have access to that computer of your prior employer. You would need that information to show that he was contacting you and was trying to initiate contact with you. If you are unable to get that information from your prior employer, you are really in a touch situation. By returning his call, you clearly violated the restraining order. Without evidence to show that he was making contact with you, it will be a "he said, she said" ordeal and the judge will most likely side with him because you made the call. Unfortunately there are not other options to give you. The key evidence is your documents showing he made contact.

If he made phone calls to your home phone or cell phone, then you can get those records by contacting the phone or cell phone company you have subscribed to. If some of your ex-coworkers were aware that he was contacting you, then you may possibly be able to use them as witnesses.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: What is the worst that can happen to me here? Am I looking at jail time over this? I can't believe that he even got a restaining order on me cause he lied to get it!
For a contempt of restraining order it can be a couple of days to a maximum one year and/or a fine at the discretion of the judge.

As this was a first time, I doubt you will not any jail time, you will most likely be fined, how much would depend on the judge.