Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Specializing in all aspects of law including Family, Real Estate, Employment and Consumer Protection

My brother has lived with me in the apartment for the past ...

My brother has lived with me in the apartment for the past 9 years. The lease has been in my name the entire time. I just signed a new lease last month for 3 months. New apt. manager has said that he now has to fill out a credit app. and qualify. He won''t - that''s why the lease is in my name. Anything we can do? or does he have to leave? Thanks.

By law the landlord is permitted to require all adults to be put on the lease and thus require a background/credit check. I am sorry I wish I had better news. The new manager is completely within their rights to require this prior to renewing the lease for any more time. They can approve the lease for you but require him to leave if he is not able to pass the credit check.

I am sorry, I wish you and your brother the best in the new year.