Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Specializing in all aspects of law including Family, Real Estate, Employment and Consumer Protection
997364

Pa Tenant laws

My husband and I rent a townhome and are looking to purchase home. My landlord is telling us the our lease automatically renews for a year and if we move prior to the end of the lease we are resposnsible for paying the rent and advertising until the property is rented again. Is there any law that protects us for these costs if we find a home to buy prior to the end of our lease?
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

No they are not telling you the truth. You must sign a new lease every year.......if they fail to have you sign a new lease it reverts to month to month. Unless your original lease stipulated that the lease extends each year unless otherwise notified.

If this is the case you will want to notify them you will not be renewing the lease when it expires. Keep in mind they can request that you leave if you do not wish to sign a new lease. That is their option. If you leave prior to the lease ending you are held responsible for the remaining amount on the lease until it is rented and advertising to get it rented.

Walter