Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

If a doctors office says they will obtain the

Customer Question

If a doctor''s office says they will obtain the preauthorization from an insurance company prior to surgery and they do not do so, is there any recourse on my behalf?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- It would depend on whether the doctor's office said they had the approval or whether they simply said they were going to get it. If they indicated that the procedure was covered and you relied on that fact then I don't believe you should have to pay the doctor more than you would if the insurance coverage were in place.

If you went ahead with the surgery and didn't verify that it was covered then I believe you took the risk and would owe the bill.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at law