Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Specializing in all aspects of law including Family, Real Estate, Employment and Consumer Protection

Im hoping you can answer a renters rights

I''m hoping you can answer a renter''s rights question. I have lived in an apartment complex for 35 years. my lease always renews the 1st of April every year. This year I received a letter from the Property Manager indicating that they were not renewing my lease in April 2008! Without an explanation. I called and I was advised to put my concerns in writing. I requested an explanation, they will not give me one. I pay my rent on time every month. I keep my place clean and beautiful. My neighbors do not have any complaints about me. I spoke to the Resident Manager about this issue. My file was checked and nothing was in file about this decision. She called the Property Manager and it was explained to her that they are not responsible for an explanation. I am sickened over this whole issue. I need help. Who can I contact to find resolution.
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

I am sorry, I wish I had better news. It is the landlords right to refuse to renew a lease. They do not need a reason as it is their choice once the lease it over....same as your right to not wish to renew the lease if you had wanted to leave you would not be required to give a explanation.

The choice to renew a lease can be refused for any reason, if they chose to not re rent it to you.

I am sorry, I wish you the best in the new year.