How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michelle Your Own Question
Michelle, Paralegal
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4136
Experience:  31 years of experience in criminal, real estate, juvenile and family law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Michelle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My attorney say that her goal for my case that I just ...

Resolved Question:

My attorney say that her goal for my case that I just mentioned, is to get it dismissed. I am a first offender. Is this a realistic goal?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.


Many times when one does not have any type of criminal past a dismissal or a divereted sentence of some sort of probabtion before judgement is granted. You attorney's goal is within reason - no one can predict what a prosecutor will agree to - but that is where the negoiations will begin. Your attorney will speak with the prosecutor and try to get the charges dismissed or, at least, a deal for a diversion - which means if no more criminal problems within an established amount of time - usually 18 months - the matter will be closed as if it has never existed.

The law specifically allows for a suspension of fine and/or time - so there could be a deal there. And because your husband does not want to press charges or testify it is possible that this matter can be dismissed or placed on an "inactive" docket - which means that as long as there are no more problems within 1 year this matter will be closed - again, as if it never happened. However, if there is another occurance within that timeframe then this matter could be re-opened

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Michelle and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you