Bill F.
Bill F., Paralegal
Experience:  State Paralegal - 10 Years Hands on Legal Experience

Would there be any recourse for me to take towards a ...

Customer Question

Would there be any recourse for me to take towards a breeder that sold me a possible LLasa mix with Shih Tsu papers? I questioned the APRI registry when we got this dog for my friend and was told that it is not any different than AKC. I have this full Shih Tsu pedigree they gave us for this dog. Since my AKC is bred by him should I let her have these puppies or let the vet take them now? She is more than half-way through before we figured this out. I'm worried about his agressive behavior and she is nothing like that, sweet, happy and adorable.
Expert:  Bill F. replied 8 years ago.

You can take civil action for transaction fraud in court for the amount you paid the breeder for the dogs plus court costs and any other costs you have incurred by breeding and disposing of the other dogs (advertising them for sale) etc.

Depending on the total amount you will usually be able to do this in small claims court. I suggest you figure out (realistically) what the true out of pocket costs you have and will have due to this error and send the breeder a letter requesting payment of such (I would also remove the other dogs from this breeder). If they don;t respond to your request for payment within 30 days I would file in small claims court.

Also, some states have criminal charge provisions for breeders who give false paperwork on the animals they sell. You will need to contact your local police department - non emergency line and see who you can speak to about that.

Good luck. If you have any other related questions please let me know. If you found this answer helpful please accept so I can continue to help others like you in the future. Thank you.