Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

I purchased a piece of land from the SOS offfice in MS, ...

Customer Question

I purchased a piece of land from the SOS offfice in MS, after I bought the land the party that owns the land joining my land informed me that they have had fenced in to their properity for over ten years so legaly they own it and sorry about my luck. Is this true? I bought the land because the taxes had not been paid in 15 years.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- You own the property regardless of their fence. Ten years is not long enough to claim adverse possession and paying taxes is one of the things that can determine an adverse possession claim. Your neighbor's fence is on your property and you can remove it. I think the neighbor is the one with the "bad luck".

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law