How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Specializing in all aspects of law including Family, Real Estate, Employment and Consumer Protection
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recieved a letter from a collection agency regarding ...

Customer Question

I recieved a letter from a collection agency regarding a medical bill from 1999 about my son. I was incarcerated at the time and I didn''t have legal custody of my children. Their father my ex-husband and their paternal grandmother had custody am I responsible for a bill that was incurred even if I was locked up for drug charges from being an active drug abuser and not mentally stable?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


Was a court order given for you to pay child support or medical support of the child?

Was any insurance used when the child was admitted?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: NO no order was ever entered for me to pay any support. The last order of support was for my ex husband not me he had detainers for child support. I had DYFS working against me
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


If there is no order for support and you do not have custody of the child then the father would be held liable as well as you. Parents are held jointly responsible for any health bills when a order has not been established.

If you pay this you can then take your ex to court and ask that the other half be paid by him to you as reimbursement of the bill.


Walter and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have a reply even if DYFS well social services gave custody to him and his mother on the grounds of neglect. He signed his name and applied for charity care but because he didn't follow up with the chharity care and I had medicaid at one point for the children my information was already in the computerl He had tried to kill me in1992 and we have had no contact I don't understand how this works
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
once you reply to that I will accept your answer
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


I understand the situation, but the law requires that both parents are responsible for the bill if no order is in place. I know this is frustrating but in the end children do get sick and when they do both parents are responsible for the bill regardless of the situation between the two if there is no order.

I am sorry, I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for. I do not make the laws nor do I agree with them all.


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Ok thanksfor your help
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.
Your welcome, I am sorry I did not have better news. I wish you the best in the new year.

Related Legal Questions