4ren6
4ren6, Forensics/CSI
Experience:  Sworn Expert Witness in Criminal Law. Sworn Expert Courtroom Testimony.
796442

Medical test results via e-mail - wording for form

Customer Question

Our medical office would like to communicate negative test results to our patients. We know we need to provide a form for the patient to sign, but don''t know what legal wording needs to be included. I am looking for specific wording that must be included to cover our practice from legal action. (any positive test results require follow up and are not appropriate for internet communication).
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
I would not suggest your doing this. Anyone that signs this form and is aware they will be notified by email of negative test and then gets a call to come in for results will then know. Does not sound like a fair ethical system. Nor have I ever heard of such as this being done. It would tend to open you up and subject you to all types of possible issues and problems. If you want a wording for such then do not accept this answer. If your wanting to remain ethical and open to all your patients with same access then you may accept. Please reply if needed.
4ren6, Forensics/CSI
Experience: Sworn Expert Witness in Criminal Law. Sworn Expert Courtroom Testimony.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
Would you prefer that I opt out on this and allow another expert to further answer. I can opt out if your not satisfied with my answer and then allow others to post. Please advise as to what your wishes are.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.

Ma'am/Sir. I had posted the info of: Please advise as to what your wishes are.

There was no need for an accept unless you were satisfied. You also had the option to reject answer but did not. Would you like a refund on this so that you may repost the question.

Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
My concerns are/were the legality of sending such over the internet with patient info unsecured. It would have to be sent via secure means.........I have never heard of this being done for patients. I have a health profile as well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: You may remove the negative comment if you wish. It was your legal opinion that was supplied, but I asked for specific information and did not recieve it. I realize that I didn't have to accept the answer and by not clicking on "accept" I thought that was what I had done. However, instead I just keep getting requests for payment (acceptance).

The doctors I am working with have already decided on proceeding with the e-mail test results and I have the responsibility of coming up with wording for the approval forms. That is why I asked for specific information. I don't agree with them either, but it's not my choice. Other clinics are also going in this direction so I was hoping to find the information I needed, but did not.

I do not request a refund. Keep the $30.00. I have chalked it up as a learning lesson and have already posted the expense on my end.

Thank you for your time.

KB
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.

Let me go ahead then and add this for you. Read the full text. go to the first link and download the manuscript and read over it. It gives policy and procedures. I would then continue to read the rest of the post from those involved in the study. This will get you started.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6947/3/11/prepub

All you need to add to any forms for acceptance from your patients is any wording of.

I give my permission (patient) to recieve any electronic communications that may be needed or required by my primary or attending physician. I agree that this information is between my primary care physician and myself but may be used under HIPPA regulations. I hold the sending Physician harmless upon my acceptance of any use by means of electronic communications as long as within HIPPA guidelines for protection of patients rights. I realize that this communication may or may not be sent over a secure means and that confidentiality may or may not be compromised.

How does this sound to you. I think we have it covered now. Please do let me know and realize that both the company and myself sent reminders of accepts or reviews. I am sorry if you were over burdened with request to accept.

But I believe the above will now fully meet your needs. If not then go ahead and reply and I will be more then glad to further continue to assist you.

Sending this as an info.............Since you state that your leaving the accept I will apply it to this post. But do not hesitate to reply if needed. As mentoned I do take great pride in working with my customers. Thank you for being understanding and patient.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: Thank you. I will review the link. I think we are all set now.

KB
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
Your very welcome. Do not accept the above. I just realized it was sent as an answer. Technically we are not to give answers as infos..........so just let the accept ride on the first answer. I just want you to be satisfied with both the answer and our site. Please do not hesitate to reply back if needed. I will be glad to continue. Thanks for your understanding.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.

The last post in the link above to download does discuss the protocol for internet transmissions. It is important that you fully read the text of the final manuscript.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/imedia/1482977742297025_manuscript.pdf