Robert L. Bennett
Robert L. Bennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  attorney (13 years experience, member of California Bar)

I live in Martinsville, Indiana in an apartment complex. I ...

I live in Martinsville, Indiana in an apartment complex. I am a loner and an elderly lady. I am being harrassed by one or more tenants by noise at night. They know I go to bed around 10:30. The young man over me and/or the handyman did some things in his bedroom which is over mine, to cause loud noises. I yelled up there one night because the noise was excessive and said if it didn''t stop, I''d call the police. I am sorry I did that. What can I do? Maybe they want me to leave and I have no place to go.
Expert:  Robert L. Bennett replied 8 years ago.

You have a common complaint among apartment dwellers. Almost every state and city has a noise ordinance, but it is very seldom that police will make any arrests, or attempt to enforce them.

When you say "they" want you to leave, I do not know who "they" is.
Over the years in similar situations, I have had my clients try to meet with the tenants making the noise, and explain that you are elderly, and go to bed around 10:30 and you would appreciate "quiet".

You also might want to try some "ear plugs".

The landlord/manager can evict the noisy tenants, so you may want to request their aid. This has worked in the past, whether or not the tenants were evicted.

Rather than reporting them to the police department when it is noisy, you should stop by and talk to the officer in charge of your area, and see if they can stop by and talk to the offenders before there are any more problems, and, then maybe can enforce the laws if the tenants continue to be noisy.

All of the above ideas have worked in the past.

I have given you a number of ideas that answer your question of what you can do.

Let me know if you are successful, and, if not, we'll try some more (that I haven't figured out yet).

Good luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No one told me there would be an additional charge. I am on SS so I can't afford it. I thought of these things so I feel I have already made up my mind as to what I will do.

Thank you for your time which was excessive I thought was too long for the above answers. I'm sorry and thank you for your trouble.

Ms Finley
I am unaware of an additional charge, and I merely volunteered here to help people like you, since I am also older (70 in a few months) and practicing law out of my home (lawyers never really retire!).

Thanks for the "thank you" and good luck.