Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

I have a 17 year old grandaughter who graduated from a ...

I have a 17 year old grandaughter who graduated from a boarding school in Colorado. The father has custody of her and forced her into this boarding school. The father is making her go to a military cadet school in Alabama till she turns 18. He then is forcing her to go to the Air Force Academy in Colorado which she does not want to. She will have to commit to 8 eight years there and two of those years will be active duty. The father''s residence is in Nebraska and legal age here is 19. Can this girl go on her own when she turns 18 and go to college where she wants?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- I cannot imagine how anyone can force someone to go to the Air Force Academy since those students are all there by appointment of a Congressman or Senator. In any event, a person who is eighteen is an adult and can vote and is free to do whatever they want. If she accepts an appointment to the Academy then she will have the eight years so it would be best to simply refuse to be sworn in.

It is really a shame that a father would be this controlling over a child but I know it happens all the time. I suppose she will have to put up with this until she is 18 but after that she can do what she wants. While the legal age in Nebraska may be 19 for some local laws she will still be an adult and can refuse to attend the AF Academy.

Also, she will be in Alabama when she turns 18 so she doesn't even have to come back to Nebraska or go to Colorado if she chooses not to.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law