J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  21 years as a serious injury/wrongful death trial lawyer; nationally board certified; 43 jury trials
6118667

What is the penalty/punishment for forgery ($3100) in the ...

Customer Question

What is the penalty/punishment for forgery ($3100) in the state of Kansas and the state of Georgia? My estranged husband signed my name to a check made out to both of us that he had a court order to sign and return to me with me getting the proceeds.
Expert:  J D Haas replied 9 years ago.
Kansas: first offense lesser of $500.00 or amount of forged instrument.

Georgia: felony offense and sentence 1-5 years for forgery in 2nd degree; or if presented with attempt to receive the funds it is 1st degree felony and sentence is 1-10 years in jail.

In the future, you can specifically request that I work with you on your legal question. If you have specifically requested that I answer this question, thank you.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship. The only way that I am legally responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So, since the divorce proceedings are in GA, but he lives in KS-which state would have jurisdiction also, given he had a court order to sign and return to me?
Expert:  J D Haas replied 9 years ago.
If he signed the check in KS that is where the crime occurred. If he signed the check in GA, that is where the crime occurred. The important event is his location when he committed forgery.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Ok, one last question, after signing both our names, he signed it over to a friend, who then deposited it into his account. Will that person get in trouble, i'm just curious.Thanks.
Expert:  J D Haas replied 9 years ago.
The only way that the friend would get into trouble would be if the friend knew that this was a forged instrument and knowing that assisted the forger in attempting to get money on the forged instrument. If all of those things could be proven, the friend might be liable to prosecution.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! :)
Expert:  J D Haas replied 9 years ago.
Thank you very much. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!