Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

can my divorce lawyer quit my case for no reason and ...

can my divorce lawyer quit my case for no reason and keep my $4000 retainer, with no date scheduked for hearing
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
In Delaware the rules of professional responsibility regulate the when an attorney can withdraw from the case. So long as your case is not being jeopardized the attorney can withdraw form your case and give you plenty of opportunity to retain another attorney. The attorney cannot leave you hanging or they can be subjection to discipline for violating the rules of professional responsibility. See page 80 here. Otherwise if there are no violations of the rules then the attorney can withdraw for any reason. If this hearing is a necessary hearing to set immediately then the attorney should be responsible for this. If there is no urgency for this hearing, then the attorney is not responsible.

Once the relationship has terminated, the client is entitled to a refund of all funds that have not been used in the representation. The attorney must provide you with a final accounting to obtain his last payment and must refund what was not used. Any disputes as to the fees charged can be handled by filing with the state bar for a fee dispute.

Finally the attorney must deliver a copy of your file minus any of his work product (his hand written notes or notes for preparing the case).

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.