Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

Is it possible to establish legal residency in two states ...

Is it possible to establish legal residency in two states at the same time? In my case the states are North Dakota and Florida.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

Dear Raybird1938 - I know of no way to do this unless an individual state would permit the practice. The problem is that each state wants to be able to collect taxes and issue their own drivers licenses etc. and will not permit you to have dual residency. It can also be a problem upon death as to which state has probate jurisdiction. Another problem area can be in state school tuition rates. The list goes on and on.

Even if one state would permit the practice the other state might not. You would need to have permission from both. I do know Florida has rather strict rules on residency however I'm not certain about the practice in ND. The best way to determine which state you want to be your residence state is to check how the various laws would be most advantageous to your particular financial situation.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law