Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

How do I transfer a custody case from one county to ...

How do I transfer a custody case from one county to another but in the same state. I am the sole custodian and have moved to another county 3 hours away from where the court order for child support was issued. The father has moved within 15 miles of me but just over the county line in another county. Neither of us lives in the county where the original support was issued.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
You will need to fill out the change of venue forms which the court clerk should have. Proper jurisdiction for child support hearings is the county were the father is now a resident of, not your county. I was access the Maryland court website, but it seems the forms are not online. You will need to contact the county clerk first to see if they have the forms. If not you will have to prepare the motion yourself.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: If need be can this motion be done at the courthouse in my county (carroll) and sent to his county (Baltimore) via mail, and can a contempt be filed in my county for nonpayment?
Thank you for your response.

His county is the proper county for the case to be transferred to. You will have to file in his county. Whether they accept the motion through mail would depend on his county's local rules. In general, you should be able to file motions by mail, although processing time can take longer than you would like.

You cannot file for contempt of non-payment in your county, it would be his county as that is proper jurisdiction for child support. The county requires in personum jurisdiction (meaning jurisdiction over the person) to be able to render a decision against, so that would be his county.