Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

i need a sample letter to write a judge before my ...

i need a sample letter to write a judge before my sentencing or a statment about a crime that i did expling what i did why i did it how i feel about the crime now and what sentence i think i should get.i want the judge to know that i feel sorry about what i did that i didnt do it intentionlly. i graduated from university.its my first time being charged with a crime.i dont think that sending me to jail is the write think for me .i shouldnt be around criminal people.i cant learn anthing being arround people like that.i think that being on probation is and seeing hem on a mntly basis is enough.i also support my girlfriend and her kids for the past nine years i will never do anything against the law. i think i should get a secend chance and i am sorry about everything.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for requesting me leelee. I will work on your letter and post it tomorrow. Just wanted to let you know I got your request. Thanks and I will post when I am done with the letter.
Okay. Here is the letter.

[DATE]

Honorable Judge _______________

I am writing you today before my sentencing hearing of [date], 2008. Sadly, I am asking for your leniency in sentencing me and plea that your sentence be merciful and not punitive. Please take into account what I am going to say as many lives are going to be touched and affected by your decision today.

As you know your Honor, the crime I committed was _______________. I need to tell you what motivated me to act against the law. I [need to explain reason for why he did what he did]. I am truly remorseful for the actions that I took and I did not have the intent to commit these offenses.

I am a university graduate and I believe that I can use my education by engaging in community service or other alternative sentencing, but I believe a period of incarceration for this type of offense will only be a detriment to my immediate family.

For the last [number of years] years, I have been the sole provider of my family, which consists of my girlfriend and [number] of children. My girlfriend has many medical issues, which I have been helping her with and my girlfriend is unable to support my family because of these medical issues. Unfortunately I am the only family my girlfriend and children have and without me being able to support them, my family will suffer financially and emotionally. As a father, I am involve in my children’s lives and not having me their with them in their daily activities will only cause them further emotional stress.

I beg your Honor to please consider my letter, when you hand down your sentence. Only you have the ability to give me a second opportunity.

Sincerely,

[his name]

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hi ninvest,thanks for helping me again.couple of questations i have for you,do i write the letter in the same order in paragraphs. i need you to know that the letter i wrote, the one you worked on for the past few day will also be coming from me to the same judge.the one you just wrote today is form defendant #1 i need the same letter for defendant #2. both defendants have the same questions that they need to answer.now this two letters are, from two diffrent people,to the same judge,and their court date is on the same day,and there in the same case. so i just want to make sure they dont sound the same .this one will be the first one that u just wrote for my brother in law.the second letter will be for my husband but first i will tell if anything on this one needs to changed.they are going to see the judge. i want to make sure the letters are not the same .i will make a request for the other one today.on the top of this letter will be the date?what is <!--[if !supportemptyparas]--> <![endif]--.?i dont understand what this line means.we need to change some things in this letter first,he commited insurance fraud.the reson why he did it? he was not aware of how they did the accounting if he know it, he would never done it ,and most important is that he never dealed with the accounting so he wasnt aware of what exectly went on.he doesnt have a family. he has a girlfriend and her son that he supports for 5 years.the last paragraph doesnt fit him at all .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
one more think the d.a sighned a plea with defendant #1 that the most that he will get will be 365 day jail county time hes charge is a misterminor he asking the judge to give hem community service if not then at list workfarlogh.the judge asked hem how do feel about your crime?he fells bad he never tought that somthing like this will happen to hem.he is a very good person and known very well in hes community that he is not a criminal. thanks ninvest.
HiCustomerquot;

1) The first letter I wrote on your first question to me, was a letter on your behalf. You can copy it word for word and modify it as you wish.

2) The letter I wrote on this post, I thought was for your husband, that is why I included stuff about helping with medical issues. If that does not apply just remove that information and only use what apply.

3) I will create a third letter now for your husband but I need more information. It is very hard to write a letter with very limited information. I need to know what he was charged with, how he is an influence to the family, how he has helped you and the children. etc...

4) The <!--[if !supportemptyparas]--> <![endif]--.? you can ignore. I was offline creating this documen on my computer and when I copied over to here. It is just a program code. Don't worry about that and just ignore it.

5) I will edit your brother in laws letter, but I need more info for your husband. Again you did not initial state how that letter was for, so I thought it was for your husband. But I can correct that.

Below two separate letters. Again don't worry about the formatting program codes you can ignore those.

[DATE]

Honorable Judge _______________

As you know your Honor, the crime I committed was insurance fraud. I was not aware of the accounting laws and did not know that this was not acceptable when handling of the account. I am truly remorseful for the actions that I took and I did not have the intent to commit these offenses.

I am a university graduate and I believe that I can use my education by engaging in community service or other alternative sentencing, but I believe a period of incarceration for this type of offense will only be a detriment to my girlfriend and child who I am responsible for paying child support.

Sincerely,

[his name]

[Date]

Honorable Judge;

I am writing this letter to you in order to plea for your leniency in handing down my sentence on [date], 2008.

Your Honor, the crime I committed is my first criminal offense and I was not aware that my behavior would result in being arrested, convicted and now sentenced. I have been charged with a misdemeanor offense and as a first time offender, I believe the most reasonable punishment would be community service or work furlough. Spending any period of incarceration would only be a detriment to my family and children who solely dependent on me to provide for them financially. I am very active in my children’s lives and spend time with them in their school activities. Not having me with them will only cause my children emotional strain and they have already gone through enough when I was arrested for this offense.

My wife of [number of years] years, is dependent on me. She is a victim of sexual assault as a minor and because of the trauma of these events is unable to sustain employment. Additionally, I am responsible in getting her medication and taking her to her psychiatrist appointments. My wife and children have no other family but myself and it will be very difficult for my wife to maintain stability in her life if I am incarcerated.

I plea that you please take this letter into consideration and into your heart and to beg that your ruling today be merciful and not punitive.

Sincerely,

[husband]

Don't forget to click accept.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the first letter was from me. i need 2 more letters. this two letters should be from two diffrent people it is called, a victim impact statement,the letters need to be diffrent from each other because it is going to the same judge ,and they have a sentencing date on the same day.this one you wrote that has a girlfriend is for my brother in law he is charged for the same thing insurance frud but it is a misterminor.i need this one first and for my husband i will write you the letter that i want and than you can fix it.
Leelee.

I know that I have already written a letter for you. You are not understanding that I have already written two letters here. One for your brother in law and one for your husband.

You need to review my previous answer to you. I wrote two letters already. One for you brother in law and one for your husband.

A victim impact statement is a letter from the victim asking that no leniency be taken. That is not a letter you want written.

You are misunderstanding what a victim impact statement is all about. Again those letters are to deny a reduction in sentence.

Go back to my previous answer. I have already written two different letters.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
on the first letter paragraph #2 i need u change the did not know that this was not accepttable when handling the account. he did not handle acconunts he sighnd the papers with out cheking them if they where done correctly ihe trusted the people that worked for hem. but he is still taking the responsbility since it was is job to chek it . and learned is leason that from now on i should only trust my self and do it my self.
i would please ask u to add that he went to the unvirsity for 4 years and has bachelor degree in psychiatry.he served the army for 3 years as a counselor.thank again
Below is the edited letter for the boyfriend. I did not add 4 years of university, because graduating from university means that you have completed four years of university.

[DATE]

Honorable Judge _______________

As you know your Honor, the crime I committed was insurance fraud. I was not aware that what I was doing was wrong. I trusted the people I was helping and did not know that this was not acceptable. I should have been more careful in the job I was doing. But I have learned my lesson greatly. I am truly remorseful for the actions that I took and I did not have the intent to commit these offenses.

I am a university graduate and have a bachelors degree in psychiatry. I have also served our country in the army as the army counselor. I believe that I can use my education by engaging in community service or other alternative sentencing, but I believe a period of incarceration for this type of offense will only be a detriment to my girlfriend and child who I am responsible for paying child support.

Sincerely,

[his name]

I have answered your question. Please let me know if you need further assistance or clarification thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hi ninvest the letter for my brother in law is ok but i can not write the same think for my husband there very much alike if you want me to try writing u want i on my husbands letter to say let me know thanks
Have you read the letter I wrote for your husband? It is not similar to the one for the brother in law.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
YES I DID READ IT THERE VERY SIMILAR I NEED A VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS?
I CAN GIVE THE JUDGE TWO LETTER THAT ARE ALIKE ,BUT WHAT WE CAN DO IS I CAN TELL U WHAT ELSE THE JUDGE WANTS US TO WRITE IN IT AND THAN IT WILL LOOK DIFFRENT
Yes, I know what a victim impact statement is, but how would that apply in your situation. A victim impact statement is a letter to the judge by the victims of this crime asking to deny a reduction in sentence. I don't see how a victim impact statement can work here, because your husband is not a victim, nor are you. The victim is the party that was affected by this crime.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
oh ok well i have a paper here that the probation officer gave my husband there are question in there that we need to answer and there asking us to writ a letter about it.
Okay, can you provide me with the info of what needs to be said.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the questions are?what u did the crime?insurance fruad. why you did it?that was is bussins he had people that that worked for hem and they underreported workmans comp so he didnt know that is a criminal he always worked out side the office since this is his bussines he needs to take responability.they need to know how he fills about this he fills bad he never thought it will get there if he know he wouldnt of done it this is is first time being convicted he thinks that the sentencing hem for two years is way to much he wants to ask the judge in the letter to give hem one chance he had no intantion of doing it to this is way to much for first time .he allredy got punched by going to court for the past 3 years was a very strressful thing to true he learned a very good lesson he is a very shy person he doesnt belong in a place like that the state will get better beneft from hem doing community service,but if they cant give that were asking the judge to send hem straight to fire camp with out going true the a prosses of the state prison at list give us that.so the kids wont see hem in a prison it will be very hard for themhe is also paying all the restation at sentescing he has a wife that is sick with panic attack and anxiaty and all of his three kids have ashma and there all on medication on a daily basis we need hem.we dont know who is going to support us we dont have any savings or checking i allready started to borow money from friend i dont have parent that can help me or my kids so at list if the judge can avoid the truma of taking my kids to see their dad in a prison will be very hard we can tell the kids that he is working in the fire station for that time .thanks ninvent for everyting and hope u will never go true this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the questions are?what u did the crime?insurance fruad. why you did it?that was is bussins he had people that that worked for hem and they underreported workmans comp so he didnt know that is a criminal he always worked out side the office since this is his bussines he needs to take responability.they need to know how he fills about this he fills bad he never thought it will get there if he know he wouldnt of done it this is is first time being convicted he thinks that the sentencing hem for two years is way to much he wants to ask the judge in the letter to give hem one chance he had no intantion of doing it to this is way to much for first time .he allredy got punched by going to court for the past 3 years was a very strressful thing to true he learned a very good lesson he is a very shy person he doesnt belong in a place like that the state will get better beneft from hem doing community service,but if they cant give that were asking the judge to send hem straight to fire camp with out going true the a prosses of the state prison at list give us that.so the kids wont see hem in a prison it will be very hard for themhe is also paying all the restation at sentescing he has a wife that is sick with panic attack and anxiaty and all of his three kids have ashma and there all on medication on a daily basis we need hem.we dont know who is going to support us we dont have any savings or checking i allready started to borow money from friend i dont have parent that can help me or my kids so at list if the judge can avoid the truma of taking my kids to see their dad in a prison will be very hard we can tell the kids that he is working in the fire station for that time .thanks ninvent for everyting and hope u will never go true this. he need to know he is not a criminal person and he can not learn anything from the people in prison all the can teach hem is how to be like them.just by looking at his face the judge can tell that he is not a bad person.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just by looking at his face the judge can tell that he is not a criminal person and by sending hem to prison will not teach anything but how to become a criminal he doesnt deserve to be there
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just making sure this letter shoud be coming from my husband to the judge thanks again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HI NINVEST,ARE U ABLE TO DO IT?
Hi leelee, I just got online. I will be working on it and will post when I am done.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU SO MUCH SORRY FOR ALL THIS BUT I AM GOING TRUE ALOT.I THANK YOU I REALLY APPRECIATED.
No problem. I will post when I am done.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK I'LL WAIT
Okay I believe I have your final letter. Don't forget that if you wish to have this question locked, you will need to accept, the same as your first question. Again, don't worry about the formating codes, as I was working on this from my computer.

[Dated]

Honorable Judge:

I have never had the opportunity to speak directly to you about how I feel for what has happened here. I wish to take the opportunity today for you to hear what I have to say before you hand down a sentence today.

I am a man who was convicted for insurance fraud. I had people working for me that were under reporting worker’s compensation and I was not aware what they were doing was a crime. I was working outside of the office and never had a clue this was going on behind my back. Unfortunately this is my business and I understand that I need to take some responsibility. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX regret and feel horrible about this. I never had any intention to commit a crime and if I was aware of what was happening, I would have taken active measures to stop it.

I am also a husband and father. As a husband I have a wife who depends on me to take care of her. My wife suffers from panic attacks and anxiety and as a result is unable to work. So I am the bread winner for my wife and family. As a father, I also provide financially for my three children. My children have asthma and require daily expensive medication. Without me bringing in an income it would be difficult for my family to get the medication they require on a daily basis. Without me, there is no income and we have no savings or reserves.

Your Honor, the crime I committed is my first criminal offense. I have been charged with a misdemeanor offense and as a first time offender, I believe two years of incarceration is to extreme and I am requesting that you give me a chance by participating in community service or to participate in the fire camp program but I beg that you not sentence me to a period of incarceration. I have already been punished by the last three years of going through this criminal court process. This has been three very stressful years and I have learned my lesson well. In addition I have already been borrowing money from friends as I have no parents that can help me financially. As you can imagine my wife and children have been going through a lot. I don’t wish for my children to have to see me behind bars. Incarceration will only make this harder for my children.

Your Honor, I am not a criminal. I will not be able to educate myself if housed in prison. I believe that I can be of service to my community, but being offered alternative sentencing such as community service.

I ask that in judging me you consider what I have written here today and how it will affect my wife and three children. I seek the opportunity to assist my community in a positive manner, to attempt to repair the damage that has been done and to get on with my life.

My heart and prayers go out to you in rendering this decision.

Respectfully XXXXX XXXXX sincerely,

[husband’s name]

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i wanted to add that if it is not posibble to get commuinty service if the judge can send hem to the fire camp with out going true the prosses of reception becuase the part that he really worries is that the kids will see hem behind bar we want to avoid that.ninvest your great i love the letter.

Okay, I added your last request.

[Dated]

Honorable Judge:

Your Honor, I am not a criminal. I will not be able to educate myself if housed in prison. I believe that I can be of service to my community, but being offered alternative sentencing such as community service. If community service is not possible, then please consider the fire camp program. If the fire camp program is a better alternative, can you please not order the process of going through reception as I would not like my children to see me behind bars.

Respectfully XXXXX XXXXX sincerely,

[husband’s name]