Dan, Retired JD
Experience:  Retired attorney, general practice, with an additional background in financial planning,
5594706

How do I file a lien against real property in Oklahoma

Customer Question

I loaned hard money to an individual and want to place a lien against the home as they mentioned selling it.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 years ago.

castrobudy:

You cannot file a lien in this circumstance.

The only options available to you would be if they voluntarily signed a mortgage (which is a voluntary lien) and you recorded it against their property, or if you went to court and sued them for non-payment, got a judgment and recorded that (which is an involuntary lien).

There is no right to simply file a lien against someone's property because they owe you money.

I hope this has helped. Let me know if you have any followup questions. If none, please remember to click on the ACCEPT link so that I may receive credit for working on this topic with you. (I’d greatly appreciate it!)

Thank you,
--------------
The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.
PS: If an answer appears to you to have been very helpful, or to have taken above average expertise and/or research, or if the answer shows an above average amount of time and dedication devoted to your issue, a bonus is nice way to say “Thank you”. Thanks!