Dan, Retired JD
Experience:  Retired attorney, general practice, with an additional background in financial planning,

How do I file a lien against real property in Oklahoma

Customer Question

I loaned hard money to an individual and want to place a lien against the home as they mentioned selling it.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 years ago.

You cannot file a lien in this circumstance.

The only options available to you would be if they voluntarily signed a mortgage (which is a voluntary lien) and you recorded it against their property, or if you went to court and sued them for non-payment, got a judgment and recorded that (which is an involuntary lien).

There is no right to simply file a lien against someone's property because they owe you money.

I hope this has helped. Let me know if you have any followup questions. If none, please remember to click on the ACCEPT link so that I may receive credit for working on this topic with you. (I’d greatly appreciate it!)

Thank you,
The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.
PS: If an answer appears to you to have been very helpful, or to have taken above average expertise and/or research, or if the answer shows an above average amount of time and dedication devoted to your issue, a bonus is nice way to say “Thank you”. Thanks!