Muhammad
Muhammad, LLB, LLM.
Experience:  LLB, LLM. 8 years of legal experience. Worked on very high profile cases, such as, Enron, Microsoft.
3312116

Can a retired postal employee who has reinstatement

Customer Question

My husband is a retired disabled veteran who left postal employment two years ago after ten years of postal service. He wishes to return to the Post Office. He believes he has reinstatement eligibiity due to only a two year hiatus. There is a   internal job announcement that for the exact same job he retired from "Supervisory Maintenance Operations - EAS16 at the Harrisburg, PA and Lancaster, PA plant. Please advise if Fred can apply for the internal JOA or can he only apply for External post office JOA's?

Can a retired postal employee who has "reinstatement eligibility" apply for internal Post Office job announcements and return to Post Office employment?
Expert:  Muhammad replied 6 years ago.

Dear Madam,

Your husband is eligible for reinstatement and there is no time limit on his reinstatement eligibility due to his "veterans' preference". A reinstatement eligibility allows your husband for followings:

i- Reenter the Federal competitive service workforce without competing with the public in a civil service examination.

ii-He may apply for any open civil service examination.

iii- He can apply for Federal jobs open only to status candidates.

Under reinstatement eligibility, your husband can only apply for a job which is equal to the grad that he last held or to the lower grad that he last help. However, your husband wants to apply for higher grand than he last held then he will have to compete through open job. But since your husband is applying for the same position that he last held then he does not have to compete through open job announcement and he is eligible to reinstatement to that position, which was open to the status candidates.

Please click on this link for details: http://federaljobs.net/fed.htm

If you find this answer helpful then please accept the answer. However, if you dont find it helpful, you dont have to accept the answer and/or pay me. In that case, please let me know and I will opt out of the question and some other expert will help you. Your satisfaction is all we need.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please advise what a "status candidate" is?

Just to clarify - It does not matter whether the Post Office job announcement is an INTERNAL OR AN EXTERNAL JOA, my husband may apply and be considered for the same grade level position.
Expert:  Muhammad replied 6 years ago.

Dear Madam,

"Status candidates "are those who are eligible for noncompetitive movement within the competitive service because they either are now or were serving under career-type appointments in the competitive service. In other words, status candidates are the ones with the federal employment status and it includes individuals with the reinstatement eligibility.

Yes, your husband is eligible to apply for internal job opening under merit promotion program, which is used by the agencies to fill internal position and it includes individuals with reinstatement eligibility. Also, your husband can apply of external job openings too.

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Muhammad's Post: Do you know whether the Internal JOA must state specifically "will accept applications from candidates with reinstatemenet eligibiity?

Also, do you have a source cite for the information provided.
Expert:  Muhammad replied 6 years ago.

Dear Madam,

NO, an internal or external job announcement does not have to specifically state that agency will accept and/or consider candidates with reinstatement eligibility. Also, all federal agencies use "merit promotion" program in order to fill their internal jobs and candidates with reinstatement eligibility can apply for the same job under this "merit promotion" program for the jobs with the agency. I explained the whole process and answered your questions in detail above. You can read more here: http://www.usajobs.gov/EI2.asp .

I hope it answers all of your questions. Please dont forget to accept the answer, so I could get credit for my work. A bonus and positive feedback is always welcome.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Muhammad's Post: I certainly appreciate all your help and, in fact, the information you provided was exactly the information I was able to find before pursuing this route. I also thought that my husband could apply for internal as well as external JOAs under reinstatement eligibility until I spoke to the Post Office Shared Services. I was that since my husband was retired, he could only apply for external JOAs and reinstatement eligibility is "nothing special".   Everyone that works for the Federal Government and leaves can obtain reinstatement eligibility. As we know, there is a three year limit unless you are a veteran. Shares Services did not even comment on that aspect. Shares Services version of reinstatement eligibility is that it does not get you any preferential treatment other than a prospective hiring agency may look through eligible certs and possibly notice that you had federal/postal service in the past and that might make a difference in the selection process. I have spoken to several HRO Shares Services Staffing Specialist and none of them seem to fully understand the reinstatement process or being able to come back to the Federal/postal service. All of them say, "This never happens". They even went as far as to say that if you were an EAS Supervisor as my husband, the only way you could get back into the Post Office was to take the "Craft position" test again and work your way up to a managment position. This is reason why I contacted Just Answers to see if Shared Services was perhaps correct and i was completely misinterpreting what I was reading. That is the reason why I am rentless in pursuing additonal opinions from yourself. Your opinions mirror mine. Lastly, I am seeking assistance on whom I should contact or some direction that will enable me to bring this utter confusion to light. There is obviously a disconnect with Shared Services and the information they are dispursing to the public.   Also, my husband could be losing out on job opportunities. The local Postal HRO office where my husband would be applying for reinstatement strictly abides by Shared Services.
Expert:  Muhammad replied 6 years ago.

Dear Madam,

I answered not only your original question but all other questions you asked. I explained the law and its application of your husband's situation very clearly. However, If USPS is not listening to you or not complying with the law, I would suggest you to hire an attorney and file proper action to get relief. From last few days, I have been spending a lot of time on your questions to answer them, even the rule is, one question and one answer but I answered your all of questions without your acceptance to any answer. So please either accept the answer, so I could get credit for my work or let me know and I will opt out of the question and let someone help you.

Thanks.

Muhammad, LLB, LLM.
Experience: LLB, LLM. 8 years of legal experience. Worked on very high profile cases, such as, Enron, Microsoft.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
I would like a second opinion on my series of questions concerning postal reinstatement eligibility.
Expert:  Muhammad replied 6 years ago.

Dear Madam,

Here is summary of my answers to your questions:

Your husband is eligible to apply for internal job opening under merit promotion program, which is used by the agencies to fill internal position and it includes individuals with reinstatement eligibility.

USPS is a federal agency and they are bound to consider candidate with reinstatement eligibility for their internal job opening through their merit promotion program. A reinstatement eligibility does not automatically guaranty a job to a reinstatement eligible candidate but it just allow such candidate to apply for that job and gives right to be considered by the hiring agency. It's sole discretion of hiring agency that whom they want to offer the job based upon the skills and qualification needed for such job. Therefore, it's your husband's right to be considered for the same job that he held before with USPS, but selection is up to USPS.

Please click on these links for details: http://federaljobs.net/fed.htm . http://www.usajobs.gov/EI2.asp

As you stated that you prefer second opinion, I am going to opt out of this question, so some other expert could look into the matter and help you further. I did my best to provide you the best answer and I wish you and your husband all the best.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You have done a wonderful job in your research and explanation. I only wish a second opinion to bolster my confidence in proceeding forward. Today I spoke to our Congressman and I will be initiating a formal Congressional inquiry to investigate the matter. Again, thank you very much for your advice.