Gregory Boop
Gregory Boop, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  A trial attorney with a decade of experience representing people and small businesses.
5932552

Can a person use an alias name in business

Can a person use an alias name in business (not change legally change their name) in order disguise his/her identity? Is it legal? The alias would just be to gather information, not for contractual purposes and/or anything of that sort.
Expert:  Gregory Boop replied 7 years ago.
J:

The use of an alias is governed by state law. Be careful. I see hundreds of websites popping up wanting $100+ to register the alias name in Fla. You can go directly to the secretary of state and file (the forms are online) here.

Now, to answer your question. The reason all states require the registration of ficticious business names is so that people can look up the business. Not being registered AND using a ficticious name is XXXXX XXXXX breach of many, many consumer protection laws, voids any bond or business insurance that may be in place and, depending on the state, voids all contracts entered into by the ficticious entitity while placing personal liability on the individual claiming the "company." Practically speaking, people do this all of the time, perhaps claiming "d.b.a." status or some similar nonsense. The best and most legal way is to register the alias/ficticious name immediately.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Morning Greg.

Thank you for your prompt response. Unfortunately, I wasn't referring to an alias for a company. Rather, was inquiring about the use of a fictitious/alias name for a contact PERSON. So, can a person in the state of florida use an alias name for themself in order to acquire information relating to their industry and/or business?
I'll take a guess and assume you are talking about a collection company?

The answer is, yes. In fact, many companies have an alias name policy for telephone contact people. It is done to protect them. You can ask for a person's real name and they cannot send out so-called "dunning" letters with ficticious names (with some exceptions), but as long as consumers know they are talking to a company rep their is no restriction on the use of an alias for the company contact.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
This question was pretty much answered BUT counsel assumed it was related to the "collection agency" arena. Can an alias be used (for privacy/protection) when related to business in general?
J Romeo:

Yes. A private business has no obligation to identify its employees.

Greg
Gregory Boop, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: A trial attorney with a decade of experience representing people and small businesses.