J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  21 years as a serious injury/wrongful death trial lawyer; nationally board certified; 43 jury trials

What are the regulations on owning a Savannah Cat ...

What are the regulations on owning a Savannah Cat in Holbrook, NY 11741? Looking for an F3 Breed
I am investigating your question. I will respond when I have completed my research. Thank you for your patience.
After an exhaustive search, I could not discover a single law or statute that forbids a person from having a Savannah cat in Holbrook, NY. I could not discover a regulation covering a person owning a Savannah cat in Holbrook, NY. I believe that you are free to own a F3 Savannah cat in Holbrook. Please contact me with further questions.

If my answer is satisfactory, please accept it and leave positive feedback if you would be so kind. Thank you.

Addendum, please see this article:

Considerations are a F3 vs. a F5 Savannah, which presumably is allowed in N.Y. state but not N. Y. City. Please make a determination of whether Holbrook is in N. Y. City.

If you go to there is a list of NY dealers of Savannahs and they can provide information.

Thank you for posting this fascinating question.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have researched myself and found that owning a Savannah is illegal in NYC and only F5's are legal in NYS without a permit.
That is consistent with my research. NYC is more restrictive than NYS in this regard.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
can you send me the copy of the law about NYC?
I will see what I can find.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Here is a link.

NYC 161.01 is the wild animal section that applies to Savannah cats. Thanks.
Savannah cats F1-3 at least, are considered serval in the ordinance 161.01. There is a NYTimes article about them and their owners. One of the owners quoted in the article lives on Long Island. I hope this helps.

If my answer is satisfactory, please accept. I would greatly appreciate positive feedback. Thanks.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your help I am going to leave a positive feedback however can you also provide me the link to the NYTimes article. Thanks Jeff
Here it is. Thanks a lot.: