Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

How do I find out if my child has been adopted without my consent

Customer Question

I had a child with a woman when I was in my early 20's. I was very involed in their lives until my new wife spanked my daughter. After that incident I have had very restricted contact with my daughter. At this point we rarely talk at all, and she is angry with me. I have strong reasons to believe, in writing, that she has been adopted by her step-father. How can I find out if she that is true? I have never been served or asked if I would allow her to be adopted. I'm thinking, if it is true, and her Mother hates me so much, that maybe they acted like I was a complete absent father, like they never had any contact with me and didn't know how to contact me.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
You may contact the California Department of Social Services Adoptions Unit at telephone number(NNN) NNN-NNNN The mailing address is: Adoptions Systems Unit (MS-19-67), Adoptions Branch, California Department of Social Services, XXXXX Sacramento, CA 95814. Also check CDSS' Children and Family Services Division's web site, http://childsworld.org/adoption for information. They should be able to tell you if your child was adopted or not.

If your child was adopted and the parents knew how to contact you, then you may be able to appeal the adoption and termination of your parental rights for lack of service of process. If you take this route, you need an attorney to assist you with the appeal process because it is not a very easy thing to do on your own.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: Thank you soooo much!!!! I really appreciate your assistance and I will check into the services you suggested.

Thank you so much. . .you have no idea how much better I feel just knowing where to look.

Sincerely,

Dave
Thank you for your response.

Dave, I wish you all the luck with this issue.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I have tried the Social Services Adoptions Unit and they said they cannot give me any information, even though I'm the biological Father. I have looked at the childsworld/org/adoption and I can't seem to find anything on that website that would assist me in finding out if my daughter was adopted without my consent.
So, I'm back to square one.
Sorry to hear you were not successful. The link I gave you was in correctly placed by the Department of Social Services.

Below is the correct link.

http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/cfsweb/CFSDAdopti_309.htm

The only information they provide is for those birth parents who have placed their children for adoption and want more information. You can attempt to ask them general questions to confirm if such a child was adopted or not. The request must be in writing as stated below. Further, you may want to search for her birth records, as the records will reflect if the child was adopted and if her last name was changed.

IAM A BIRTH PARENT. I WOULD LIKE INFORMATION ON THE CHILD THAT I PLACED FOR ADOPTION AND ABOUT THE FAMILY THAT ADOPTED THE CHILD. WHAT KIND OF INFORMATION AM I ENTITLED TO?
Young Lady The CDSS or the licensed public or private adoption agency that handled the adoption can give birth parents' information on the status of the adoption and general non identifying background information regarding the adoptive parents, including information on the progress of the child at the time of the adoption. This service is available only for adoptions that were finalized in California. Some licensed private adoption agencies may charge a fee for this service. You must request this information by writing directly to the licensed adoption agency, if known, or to the CDSS at the following address:

California Department of Social Services
Adoptions Support Unit
XXXXX M/S 3-31
Sacramento, CA 95814

If you do not know the name of the licensed adoption agency, you can request the name from the CDSS. Your letter must include the name you used at the time of the adoption, the child's name (if named) and date of birth. Also, your signature must be notarized by a Notary Public. This service is not available through e-mail.