4ren6, Forensics/CSI
Experience:  Sworn Expert Witness in Criminal Law. Sworn Expert Courtroom Testimony.

Do most misdemeanor charges in PA require jail time What ...

Customer Question

Do most misdemeanor charges in PA require jail time? What about for first time misdemanors do they have plea bargins or community service? My charge involved being caught taking pictures of girls in a store? The pictures were not nude in anyway. They took my camera and barred me from the store. I am sorry for what Ive done. I'm suppose to recieve a summons in the mail to go to court. I'm willing to do community service or whatever it takes to not go to jail. I just wanna know how serious the charge is or what could happen? The cop who arrested me said they would charge me with a minor misdemeanor?
Expert:  4ren6 replied 9 years ago.
If you were arrested then you were charged. What does your release papers say the charge is...........are there any numbers. What type of photos did you take. Were they from a hidden camera and directed up and under the dress of the women.......? What is your age.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: I did not recieve any papers. No, The photos were not under a womans dress. It was just of women in jeans.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 9 years ago.
yet you say you were arrested. Were you given a summons or were you taken to the station and photographed, fingerprinted and booked. And again, may I ask your age. Were these just photos of women walking around that you took random photos of with no sexual intent in the photo itself. Do you have any paperwork with any numbers for a summons or citation for this.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: I was caught at the store but was not taken downtown for finger printing. Cop released me and said a summons would come in the mail. My age is 26. The pictures were of women walking around, No sexual intent! It was just a picture of women walking from behind.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 9 years ago.

Ok, if that is the case then I doubt seriously that they will find you or charge you with any misdemeanor offense. Although it borders a number of criminal offenses. As long as there are no sexual photos on the camera you should expect to be given a community service or small fine.

If however, there are any nude or semi nude photos of women then the charge could be increased.

I doubt that you will be offered an attorney on this. I would suggest to consult one. You can expect the judge to ask you your side of the story and answer to the charges or summons and ask how you plead.........if the charges are not what you feel comfortable with then plead not guilty and another court date will be made. I doubt it will go that far depending on whether or not any of the women pressed charges also.

But you can plea this down if this is all that occurred. Again, I doubt this will cause jail time for this offense. Fine and/or community service with the misdemeanor reduced to something else is what your looking for from the judge. The primary thing is to ensure you do not end up with a misdemeanor charge showing.

Speak to the Judge honest and straight forward and be honest with your answers. Address him/her as yes your honor.

But from what you say about this I find no laws that would cause you to go to jail for such. Unless the camera shows other photos. Let me know if you need further assistance on this and I will be glad to further assist.

Expert:  4ren6 replied 9 years ago.
May I be of further assistance to you on this. Is so please reply.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
They also said they want me to come down town on a day I have off to get fingerprints and picture taken. They said they just want me on file. When I go would this be the time to ask about the citation or papers I need to go to court? He said there not booking me. He said they just want me on file I guess. Do I have to go?
Expert:  4ren6 replied 9 years ago.
Yes, you do have to go if they have requested such appearence. I would question the reason for fingerprints as this will then be entered into a national database for record. Yes, if your short any papers then ask at this time. Make sure this is not a booking and ask them if it is. If it is then ask for or take an attorney with you. But yes, you must go. Let me know if you need further assistance. You may click accept if satisfied.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 9 years ago.
Darion, may I further assist you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: Ok so would if the girls do press charges? What then am I looking at? What possible charge am I looking at as well? I called the cop today and he said depending or not if the girls press charges, I may be charged with invasion of privacy? If so is this bad? If they dont charge me with that what else could they charge me for? I contacted a lawyer already but I wanna compare notes to be sure. I still have to go downtown for finger printing. I wont know the charge untill thursday when I go downtown? He has to contact the girls. Im really scared and I need peace of mind. I havent eaten in 3 days. I need to know where I stand. Thanks, Darion
Expert:  4ren6 replied 9 years ago.
Sir I am going to opt out as I am in and out the next few days. Others will reply or you may relist your question. I have answered the original posted quesiton.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.