P-Leagle
P-Leagle, Paralegal
Experience:  A.A. Paralegal Studies Experience in Real Estate,Internet Law,Contracts,Tax & Biz Startup,DUI

What rights do I have if my ex boyfriend stole my car and ...

What rights do I have if my ex boyfriend stole my car and hid it and will not return it? It has been reported stolen but police cannot do anything until they see it on the road. He has it hid in a garage somewhere in Columbus Ohio, where we live. I still owe $10K on it! He wants me to agree to move in with him in one week and even then I cannot have the car to myself, he will take me to work and pick me up, only! I refuse to stay with him d/t the controlling relationship (ofcourse!), but the legal system will not help me. What can I do? I plan to file a civil protection order Monday, 8/14/2007.
Expert:  P-Leagle replied 6 years ago.
Hi Customer,

You have to treat this as if anybody else stole your car. You have the same rights, to recover your car by all means legal. Unfortunately, the police do not put stolen cars (once it has already been stolen) high on their priority list. That is very unfortunate to me as well.

Theft insurance can help you pay off the balance of you carry such insurance. You should, or might, since the lender may have required it.

If you are filing a protection order, it has to be served on him, so that is one way to find his whereabouts.

In all honesty though, these types of situations wind up with the boyfriend coming back later with the car, and thinking a simple sorry will take care of everything. Do not let that happen. Let the police know the car was recovered as soon as this happens. They may have a patrolman in the area and can have him arrested right then and there. This is no guarantee mind you, but it does happen, quite often too.

If you want me to address anything else please let me know.

_____________________

Should you require further clarification, please never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify the answer to your question. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Regards,

___________________

Just Answer! acts as a venue for entertainment purposes. Responses and comments on Just Answer! are for general information and are not intended to substitute for informed professional advice (such as medical, legal, investment, accounting, or tax) and do not establish a professional-client relationship. Just Answer! is not intended or designed to address EMERGENCY QUESTIONS which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service. Any information given by me is not offered as, nor is it intended to be, considered legal advice in any way, shape, or form, and shall be treated as procedural information only. Per Cal. Bus. and Prof. Code § 6450 et. al., Paralegals or Legal Assistants cannot give legal advice. The information herein is not exhaustive. You should always seek legal counsel from a licensed attorney in your state.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to P-Leagle's Post: Thank you Mike. The ex does call daily and calls my employer but I do not take calls and do not answer my phone, naturally I do not plan to negotiate over my car or my future. I will be moving next week and he knows where my new place is so I anticipate him showing up next week regardless of a protection order. I am hoping I can get him arrested. If that happens, do you know if the police or judge pressure him to release my car? I am putting off reporting the theft to the bank since I have a feeling he really does not have the means to do anything with the car but keep it in hiding a few more days until it is discovered by the police, I hate to jump the gun or perhaps the bank or insurance company will be aggressive and contact him and hopefully stop this madness. I prefer to see him incarcerated. In summary, will the civil protection order help me circumvent the system if he contacts me at my new residence? Thank you so much for your assistance, this has been a horrible experience.
Expert:  P-Leagle replied 6 years ago.
Hi Customer,

If he knows it is in place, the protection order that is, and still willfully violates it, that's more serious than a stolen car. So yes, the repercussions of him doing that are very favorable to you. The only hold up is that he must be served, and know the protection is in effect when he arrives at your new place.

_____________________

Regards,

___________________

P-Leagle, Paralegal
Experience: A.A. Paralegal Studies Experience in Real Estate,Internet Law,Contracts,Tax & Biz Startup,DUI