ozaukeecpa, Certified Public Accountant
Experience:  CPA, practice includes businesses, estates and trusts, divorce & real estate

how many hours do you have to work before getting a break ...

Customer Question

how many hours do you have to work before getting a break besides lunch do they have to give you one at all
Expert:  ozaukeecpa replied 9 years ago.

Without a location, I cannot determine the wage and hour rules for your location. I can tell you that there are states that do not even require employers to provide a lunch break regardless of the number of hours worked.

The following are exerpts from the PA Dept of Labor & Industry, I have also provided a link to the web page.

Am I entitled to Sick Leave? Vacation Pay? Severance Pay? There is no Pennsylvania labor law which requires an employer to pay an employee not to work. Benefits like sick leave, vacation pay and severance pay are payments to an employee not to be at work. Therefore, an employer only has to pay these benefits if the employer has a policy to pay such benefits or a contract with you to pay these benefits. An employer must follow its own rules for these kinds of payments. There may also be federal requirements governing leave that has to be provided under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Family Medical Leave Act.

What is the Law Regarding Breaks and Meal Periods? Pennsylvania employers are required to provide break periods of at least 30 minutes for minors ages 14 through 17 who work five or more consecutive hours. Employers are not required to give breaks for employees 18 and over. If your employer allows breaks, and they last less than 20 minutes, you must be paid for the break. If your employer allows meal periods, the employer is not required to pay you for your meal period if you do not work during your meal period and it lasts more than 20 minutes. A collective bargaining agreement may also govern this issue.

Hope this helps.

If you are satisfied with my work, kindly press the green "ACCEPT". It is the only way I am paid for assisting you. Positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated.